PDA

View Full Version : Masked lapwing - leg stretch

Ákos Lumnitzer
01-02-2008, 07:37 PM
I created this image after longing to see these species of wader at this spot in nice light. My previous efforts were hampered by couldy skies, so when these landed in the shallows for a spot of preening just this morning (it is morning in Sydney Australia), I was ecstatic to say the least. I carefully walked along the bottom of the concrete weir across the river using the wall to shelter my human form as much as possible. I soent a good few minutes with the pair of lapwings (Vanellus miles) before they had enough and flew off.

30D, 300/4L IS, 1.4x, HH, ISO400, -1 compensation for the dark BG but it also helped keep the white in check. f/9, 1/1000th. Cropped approximately 35% off the full frame.

Hope some of you will like it. :)

Axel Hildebrandt
01-02-2008, 07:45 PM
Great angle and pose, Akos. Maybe you could crop a bit off the bottom and I wish for more separation between back of the head and BG.

DanWalters
01-02-2008, 07:59 PM
Nice colors. Would like to see more of the reflection.

Maxis Gamez
01-02-2008, 08:00 PM
This is very nice, the low angle makes your subject looks bigger in the frame. Very well done!

Gyorgy Szimuly
01-03-2008, 06:24 AM
Szia Ákos, Good to see you here again :)
I like this image especially the pose. Wish to have it lighter. The crown is melting into the background. I would play a little more in PS with the levels till the whites still fine.
Szimi