PDA

View Full Version : Gatorland

John Wilkerson
02-20-2008, 06:17 PM
What do y'all think of gatorland? I was there a few years ago may or june I think. The birds had young and some were still on eggs. I arrived there at the wrong time of day but still took a few photos. I was thinking of going back this year and maybe some other locations close by. Will be only a couple of days. I'm not that familiar with the surrounding areas, I was there when my kids were young and mostly visited that mouse.

Maxis Gamez
02-20-2008, 07:27 PM
My Good friend Paul Z was there not too long ago and he said things are picking up. I still think is too early but in May should be rocking!

Mike Tracy
02-20-2008, 07:29 PM
The very beginning of April usually produces a lot of new born chicks.

Alfred Forns
02-21-2008, 06:46 PM
They are starting to give photographers better hours A few years back they refused to open one minute early !!!

John Wilkerson
02-21-2008, 07:44 PM
I didn't even think about that. I was St. Augustine last year but didn't do the early entry. It was my first time there and I had no clue nor did I have the equipment I have now. I felt like I was shooting with an instamatic.

Robert O'Toole
03-18-2008, 07:30 AM
What do y'all think of gatorland? I was there a few years ago may or june I think. The birds had young and some were still on eggs. I arrived there at the wrong time of day but still took a few photos. I was thinking of going back this year and maybe some other locations close by. Will be only a couple of days. I'm not that familiar with the surrounding areas, I was there when my kids were young and mostly visited that mouse.

See this thread concerning the new photographer program and a link for a new blog.

http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php?t=6103 (http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php?t=6103)

Robert

Vinny La Scalza
03-18-2008, 07:45 PM
John, I was just there and the place is starting to hop. Egrets (Cattle and Great), tri-color herons, and little blues are all in breeding plumage. Nests are being built and a few eggs are present. The day I was there a spoonbill in full breeding plumage dropped in and was hanging around. I would pay an additional $10 dollars at the gate for late admittance. This will allow you to stay until sunset. At the end of the afternoon, there are many great chances for flight shots. Call them and make sure on the day of your visit there exists this late option. Good luck!

Vinny

Mike Godwin
03-18-2008, 07:50 PM
Thanks Vinny... The late option is available every Tuesday through Saturday until July 19th. I might extend it if the activity is still good!

Robert... thanks for posting the link, I missed this post request!

Mike Godwin
Gatorland