Exposure Program manual
Exposure Bias 0 EV
Exposure Mode manual
White Balance auto
Color Space sRGB

Robert O'Toole
02-20-2008, 05:27 PM
Hi stuart,

I like the image, the subject is different and not a Red-eyed tree frog cliche, thanks for that. I like the different composition also. The colors are good and the head on view is always nice.
First, the image could benefit from more sharpening. Also the Frog's right shoulder is a little hot and detail-less, toning this down with a mask would be good too. Lastly this is just a personal pref but I dont really like black after midnight looking black background images, unless of course this was taken at night time, if not a nice green background or earth tones background would enhance the image.

Was this a pet or a wild frog?

Robert

Stuart Dahne
02-20-2008, 06:24 PM
Thanks Robert, this was a captive borrowed frog and it was shot at night hense the flash. These guys are tiny and and not very active however they are more active at night. I will have another opportunity to shoot one of these guys again so maybe a little back lighting might work. Thanks for your vision I will attempt to fix the shoulder.

Robert O'Toole
02-20-2008, 06:34 PM
Thanks Robert, this was a captive borrowed frog and it was shot at night hense the flash. These guys are tiny and and not very active however they are more active at night. I will have another opportunity to shoot one of these guys again so maybe a little back lighting might work. .

The easiest way is with a background lit with another flash as a slave.

Robert

Roman Kurywczak
02-20-2008, 08:11 PM
Hi Stuart,
If you are able to set this up........you may want to try and put a natural looking background cloth or matte photo of a nice BG approximately 12 inches behind frog and your main flash may get it. Make it portable to move forward or back as needed.
Try it out,
Roman

Robert O'Toole
02-20-2008, 09:04 PM
Hi Stuart,
If you are able to set this up........you may want to try and put a natural looking background cloth or matte photo of a nice BG approximately 12 inches behind frog and your main flash may get it. Make it portable to move forward or back as needed.
Try it out,
Roman

Thats one way Roman, but you always have to deal with light fall off because of the distance. Its usually better to just blast it with a slave on manual that way you can control the tone easily and there are no wires invloved.

Robert

Roman Kurywczak
02-20-2008, 09:11 PM
Thats one way Roman, but you always have to deal with light fall off because of the distance. Its usually better to just blast it with a slave on manual that way you can control the tone easily and there are no wires invloved.

Robert

Hey Robert,
I agree with your idea of a slave........but sometimes "natural BG's aren't that nice......since he's setting this shot up maybe he should use the slave system with a natural looking "fake" BG. what do you think?
Roman

Robert O'Toole
02-20-2008, 09:18 PM
Hey Robert,
I agree with your idea of a slave........but sometimes "natural BG's aren't that nice......since he's setting this shot up maybe he should use the slave system with a natural looking "fake" BG. what do you think?
Roman

Good idea, I agree with you 100%. Sometimes the "reproduced" BG look the most realistic!

Robert