PDA

View Full Version : Great Horned Owl

Nicolas Frève
01-24-2010, 12:30 PM
http://www.pbase.com/nicolasfreve/image/121346090.jpg

<table align="center" border="1" cellpadding="1" width="450"><tbody><tr><td class="sb" colspan="2">Full EXIF Info</td></tr> <tr><td class="lid" nowrap="nowrap">Date/Time</td><td class="lid">22-Jan-2010 13:56:08</td></tr> <tr><td class="lid" nowrap="nowrap">Model</td><td class="lid">NIKON D300S</td></tr> <tr><td class="lid" nowrap="nowrap">Flash Used</td><td class="lid">No</td></tr> <tr><td class="lid" nowrap="nowrap">Focal Length</td><td class="lid">300 mm</td></tr> <tr><td class="lid" nowrap="nowrap">Exposure Time</td><td class="lid">1/2000 sec</td></tr> <tr><td class="lid" nowrap="nowrap">Aperture</td><td class="lid">f/5.6</td></tr> <tr><td class="lid" nowrap="nowrap">ISO Equivalent</td><td class="lid">400</td></tr> <tr><td class="lid" nowrap="nowrap">Exposure Bias</td><td class="lid">-1</td></tr> <tr><td class="lid" nowrap="nowrap">White Balance</td><td class="lid">5560K
</td></tr> <tr><td class="lid" nowrap="nowrap">Metering Mode</td><td class="lid">matrix
</td></tr> <tr><td class="lid" nowrap="nowrap">Exposure Program</td><td class="lid">aperture priority
</td></tr> </tbody></table>

Thanks for looking.

LouBuonomo
01-24-2010, 12:45 PM
Nicolas

Really like the comp, maybe some fill to balance it plus stopping down some as I find the bright blues in the BG distracting. That said I would take this in my files in a sec !

Lou

Dave Leroy
01-24-2010, 12:49 PM
Nice clean shot of the owl with no twigs or branches interfering with the view. Good for you to get the shot with a 300mm lens also. If mine I might try and bring out more detail around the bird's right eye and also brighten up the left eye. Well done. Dave

Stu Bowie
01-24-2010, 12:59 PM
I like the pose, detail and colours. I find the BG works well. Comp wise, I would crop off at the top of the thicker branch at the bottom. Another vote for some lighting on the eyes.

Keith Bauer
01-24-2010, 01:11 PM
Nice to get one of these out in the open. If this were mine, I'd crop the bottom up to the point where the diagonal comes out of the LLC. The big branch on the bottom competes for my attention.

Markus Jais
01-24-2010, 02:19 PM
Beautiful shot. I like the composition and the warm and soft light. The perch looks great, too.

Markus

Deborah Hanson
01-24-2010, 03:13 PM
My experience with the great horned owl is - I can't get close and they are always in the trees. To be able to shoot 300mm is something. Like comments above, if mine, I would maybe darken the blues in the background and lighten the eye area somewhat.

arash_hazeghi
01-25-2010, 06:24 AM
What a sleepy owl, this one is very sharp and has great composition. I would be tempted to remove the upper twig on the perch and crop a bit tighter in the bottom. TFS

Myer Bornstein
01-25-2010, 07:31 AM
It has been said already I agree with all the coments. Saturday my view of a great horned owl was its rear fling off into the woods:D