PDA

View Full Version : One from film days

Todd Frost
01-22-2010, 09:55 PM
Image made several years ago, scanned from K64. I was above Lake Chelan in North Central WA at about 7000' in elevation. Camera used was Canon T90 (still have that camera) and Tamron 300 2.8. Don't have any other specs.
Thanks for looking, comments and critiques appreciated.
Todd

Steve Kaluski
01-23-2010, 03:08 AM
Hi Todd

If this has been scanned then it's a second generation which will have an effect on the original image, ie sharpness, colour etc, however at this size it probably it's going to make too much difference.;)

Firstly I would crop much tighter in, excluding the bright broken stump, the whites for me are too distracting from the subject and do not add anything.

The squirrel is quite contrasty with large areas of solid black especially the tail which is a shame, as the fur and bushy tail are nice features to capture and make this animal very photogenic.

The pose is a classic one, however the red fruit that it's eating is a nice touch/contrast to the grey and the BG is sympathetic to the overall colours.

Todd I have tried to be constructive in my critique, if you feel it's too harsh I am happy to delete.;)

All the best.
Steve

Todd Frost
01-23-2010, 08:59 AM
Steve, In my opinion you should not ever hold back in your critiques as you have always given them to everyone with the utmost respect and in the spirit of learning. I know the problem all to well with scans and the problems inherent with slide film and dynamic range especially. Kodachrome is especially difficult to scan. This was shot in the 80's. Just thought I would put one up from the old days.
Thanks for your comments.
Todd

Steve Kaluski
01-23-2010, 11:05 AM
Hi Todd, thank you very much for your response and I am really please that the comments are taken in the spirt that is meant. I know only to well how Forums can be, and I really do feel that this one has all the merits that I would look for and again echo my thanks to Ken for introducing me to it. :)

The 'written word' is sometimes difficult to convey and also interpreted by the recipient/member hosting the image as dialogue is without expression by both parties and sometimes comments, remarks, statements can be easily taken the wrong way. For me I try to give as much information with the image so the viewer can then make up the jigsaw. From that, responses are made and I hope that they can be constructive based on the information to hand, and that the 'host & members' can draw on the comments made to improve future photography.

I occasionally hark back to film days, where you have to get it right almost first time, rather than using software to recover mistakes, however, I loved Velvia pro. They both have their own star qualities, but guess it would be hard to go back.:D

All the best.
Steve;)