PDA

View Full Version : South Window Arches N.P. at daybreak

D. Robert Franz
01-22-2010, 06:43 PM
This is a 3 image HDR of the South Window before sun up. The image was processed in Photomatix which I'm just learning how to use...

Canon 5D2
16-35mm F2.8 @ 16mm

Dave Mills
01-22-2010, 07:31 PM
Hi Robert, Soft,even light with the snow giving you foreground interest. I also feel you did a nice job framing the image with the window on the right along with the small formation on the left and just enough sky. Well done!!

Stu Bowie
01-23-2010, 02:56 AM
I like the warm colours in this, and you have captured excellent detail. Comp works well, and congrats a great HDR conversion.

Markus Jais
01-23-2010, 02:25 PM
Beautiful shot and great HDR. I like the warm colors. The light is beautiful. Composition is great with the blue part in the upper right.

Markus

Roman Kurywczak
01-23-2010, 08:37 PM
Hey Dale,
Nice use of the HDR on S. Window. The light and rim light on the opening look great. You may want to try and lighten the tree or darken the BG behind it....to make it pop more.....but overall nicely handled and composed!

Robert Amoruso
01-23-2010, 11:18 PM
Dale,

Nice work with the HDR. Comments on the comp I agree with. I also like the subtle elements in the FG making that interesting but not overpowering.

The sky has a halo at the rocks - a typical problem in HDR and Photomatix. Using the Luminosity slider during processing, move it right to tone them down. Your other option is to layer/mask in one of the exposures with a sky you like and let that sky fill in for the HDR sky. Notice also the strong cyan look to the sky in the window. Personal I don't like cyan skies much of the time. The masking would help there to.

D. Robert Franz
01-24-2010, 10:32 AM
Thanks Robert and Roman for the tips on improving the HDR process.. I've hesitated using HDR in the past because of lots of examples I see don't look very natural so I've stuck to GND's. But in some situarions the HDR process can overcaome problems a GND cannot.