PDA

View Full Version : Sensor Cleaning + Confused

Norman Pyett
02-20-2008, 01:10 PM
Ok I admit that I've clean my sensor with air (Bulb) & with the swab & sensor cleaning solution, but after talking to a few people this weekend, I have mixed emotions.
So to you experts out there, if I can't remove the dust bunnies from my sensor, should I take it to a dealer (Southern Photo - St.Pete) or is it OK to use the cleaning solution.
It appears that some say I should NEVER touch the sensor with sensor swabs????????????:confused:

David Kennedy
02-20-2008, 01:21 PM
Norman,
It's amazing to me that so many people are still scared about this, but you clearly talked to a few of them. Don't let their fears paralyze you!

So long as the swabs and solutions you're talking about are the ones either from Photographic Solutions (Sensor Swabs or Pec Pads and Eclipse or Eclipse v2) or from Visible Dust, you can use them without fear. I'm not going to reinvent the wheel, so here's the best tutorial for the "wet method:" http://www.copperhillimages.com/index.php?pr=tutorials3

That said, the wet method is what I use now only if the "dry method" doesn't work. The dry method being the Lens Pens that Robert O'Toole and Artie Morris have been plugging for a few years now. They're easy, fast, and very effective. It's pretty rare that I get out the wet cleaning supplies--probably 6 times a year at most. http://www.birdsasart.com/lenspens.htm

Richard Kowalski
02-20-2008, 01:28 PM
Hey Norman,

1) you are NEVER touching the sensor because the sensor is behind an Infrared filter. That being said, the filter glass is very thin and one has to be extremely careful when wet cleaning it with the swab.

2) if you have already cleaned your sensor (filter) with a swab and continue to be careful when you do so, you are doing nothing different from what a dealer, or the OEM would do.

3) let me repeat, the filter glass is very thin and one has to be extremely careful when wet cleaning it with the swab! If you do end up damaging, cracking, breaking the IR filter, you do risk damaging the sensor and replacing the sensor & filter can often run close to the cost of replacing the entire camera (depending on which camera and how old t is).

On the plus side, you'd have to be extremely ham-fisted to not realize you are pressing so sharply or hard that damage is a real risk!

I'm sure you'll find that almost everyone on this site wet cleans their own sensors. If done properly and carefully, it only takes a few minutes total and is relatively safe.

LeeOtsubo
02-20-2008, 01:54 PM
Forget the wet method, buy the LensPen and directions from here (http://www.birdsasart.com/lenspens.htm). I used the wet method for many years but recently tried the LensPen and Robert O'Toole's instructions. I deliberately blew dust into an old 10D, twice, and cleaned it using the LensPen and the wet method. The LensPen won hands-down. It's so simple even a caveman can do it! :D

Alfred Forns
02-20-2008, 02:46 PM
Another vote for the LensPen !!! It is easy and effective Would stay away form liquids !!!

btw use a full battery when doing the cleaning Most cameras will not allow you to go into sensor
cleaning mode with a depleted battery

David Kennedy
02-20-2008, 02:52 PM
I just wanted to re-affirm that the wet method is safe. I do agree that Lens Pens are ridiculously effective, but Norman shouldn't worry that the swabs and liquid he already owns is somehow deleterious to the camera body. They're perfectly safe as long as you follow the instructions I linked to above.

LeeOtsubo
02-20-2008, 03:20 PM
I just wanted to re-affirm that the wet method is safe. I do agree that Lens Pens are ridiculously effective, but Norman shouldn't worry that the swabs and liquid he already owns is somehow deleterious to the camera body. They're perfectly safe as long as you follow the instructions I linked to above.

Actually, there is a chance of a "boo-boo" if someone has a newer camera (1DMkIII, D3, D300) with an indium tin-oxide coated AA filter and they have the older methanol based Eclipse. Indium tin oxide coating can and will be damaged by methanol.