PDA

View Full Version : Wildebeest Convicts

Morkel Erasmus
01-22-2010, 02:30 PM
A typical scene in the Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park.

Heads down...trudge forward...march on...

Light was already harsh so I went for a desaturated look.

Techs:
Canon 40D with 100-400mm L IS USM @ 100mm
f5.6 @ 1/3200 SS @ ISO-500

Peter Buntman
01-22-2010, 03:02 PM
Hi Morkel, good to see you showing your images on other sites. I like this it show how hard the african bush can be. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>

Jerry van Dijk
01-22-2010, 03:20 PM
Hi Morkel, I don't know what I like best: the title you came up with for this image or the image itself! Great thinking about the desaturation, really makes the image stand out. The diagonal of the wildebeast makes a strong composition. I would consider cropping from the right, to just in front of the BG wildebeest. This will give less distraction (BG wildebeast), less empty space and a nice compositional element in the UR corner (tree group).

Todd Frost
01-22-2010, 03:23 PM
Chosen pano crop and diagonal leading line of wildebeest work well. I like the almost b/w look. Well done. TFS
Todd

Marc Mol
01-22-2010, 04:16 PM
I would consider cropping from the right, to just in front of the BG wildebeest. This will give less distraction (BG wildebeast), less empty space and a nice compositional element in the UR corner (tree group).

Agree with Jerry here, cropping from the right would strengthen this image.
Good diagonal lines here Morkel, showing the Gnu's on their relentless journey, with the desat look suiting also.
TFS

Kiran Khanzode
01-23-2010, 01:13 AM
Morkel,
Love the pano crop, the desaturated look, the head-down gait works nicely towards showing the harsh environment/ difficult life they have to survive in. Nice title too, agree about the crop from the right.

Vida van der Walt
01-23-2010, 02:05 AM
Great image Morkel. Love the comp, conversion, mood and a crop will work too but I like the extra space on the right. Great title as well! Would like to go to the Kgalagadi one day.:)

Stu Bowie
01-24-2010, 12:31 AM
Hey Mate, pano works well, and as desolate this area is, these guys will instinctively find water. I would leave the space on the right, but clone out the two WB in the BG.

Morkel Erasmus
01-24-2010, 01:39 AM
thanks so much for the comments everyone!

here is a version with some space chopped off as suggested.
Stu - I am trying to refrain from cloning a bit if it's not minor cleaning up ;)

Jerry van Dijk
01-26-2010, 02:18 PM
Hi Morkel, nice work on the crop, exactly what I had in mind! The desaturated look and unusual and strong composition really make this something special.

Morkel Erasmus
01-26-2010, 02:19 PM
thanks Jerry!

Callie de Wet
01-26-2010, 02:25 PM
Nice work, Mokel must say I prefer the original with the additional WB on the right, it just balances it for me with lead-in from both sides. Looks about on par as it was now in December!