PDA

View Full Version : Viera Wetlands Status

David Gancarz
01-22-2010, 11:43 AM
FYI: I spoke to the plant manager today (Friday Jan 22, 2010) and was told the storms that just came through have made conditions very wet. The berm roads will likely be closed to vehicular traffic this weekend.

AJ Witt
01-22-2010, 12:11 PM
David, thanks for the update...not sure it will keep me from going there tomorrow morning...I have two legs that work just fine...and someone told me that exercise is good for you.

David Gancarz
01-22-2010, 12:35 PM
It is. We were thinking of trying out Circle B Bar Reserve near Lakeland instead, having never visited before. However, the cold snap seems to have done a real number on the fish there, as described here (http://www.theledger.com/article/20100121/NEWS/1215060/1410?Title=Extreme-Cold-Spell-Leaves-Lakes-Full-of-Dead-Fish-Tilapia-Hit-Hard). Its likely to be on the pungent side, although it could be a feeding frenzy for caracaras and eagles. I'd be interested to know how Viera Wetlands fared.

Judd Patterson
01-22-2010, 07:07 PM
David, I was up at Viera last weekend for a few hours and there was a fish kill, but nothing too major. The birds present were mostly the standard fare...Blue-winged Teal, Ring-necked Duck, a couple Hooded Merganser, Coots, Pied-billed Grebe, Crested Caracara, and Bald Eagle among the herons/egrets. Oh, and there was the rare Masked Duck (male)...what a treat to see!

David Gancarz
01-25-2010, 12:12 PM
It was very quiet this past Sunday AM at Viera. A pair of Sandhills appear to be building a nest in Cell 4 opposite the observation deck; otherwise, not much going on. Saw a single pair of Hooded Mergansers. It was unusual to see nary a Wood Stork (though there were some in the area). Most of the herons and egrets were in the grass in Cell 4. No sign of the Masked Duck. Lots and lots of vultures on the banks of the canal along Wickham Road munching on what I assume was the remains of a cold-induced fish kill.

The Northern Gannets are still flying around the north pier at Sebastian Inlet SP. Lots of B Skimmers about, also.

I wonder if (the collective) we should have sticky pages for users to update conditions of the usual haunts. Any takers? For in and around Orlando, I would include Viera, St Augustine Alligator Farm, Black Point Drive, Shiloh Marsh Road, Gatorland, Circle B Bar, Sebastian Inlet, Venice Rookery, Estero, maybe Emeralda Marsh.