PDA

View Full Version : Banegat Inlet

denise ippolito
01-22-2010, 09:26 AM
I took this image while on the Jetty yesterday. I met avian moderator Doug Brown out there. We had a great day and he is very nice and alot of fun! Doug is an outstanding photographer and he is especially good at birds in flight. He does several workshops yearly and I would encourage anyone that is considering signing up for one to do so.

I added a texture overlay that added a distressed look . I color toned it a bit w/ some yellow. When I saw the boat coming thru the inlet I immediately thought of this image. Hope it looks old.

Patti Edens
01-22-2010, 11:30 AM
Looks old to me! The color toning really has a vintage look. The boat certainly looks old. I don't know much about marine electronics, but even the electronics and other gear in the boat look old to me. I think you made a good choice of boats to photograph for this theme.

Barbara Kile
01-22-2010, 01:20 PM
A great capture in itself, but your work provides a nice 'old feel' to the scene. Whoever thought we'd be TRYING to make images look old! :) Nice work!

Ákos Lumnitzer
01-22-2010, 02:15 PM
Very cool Denise. And Dougie is sure a great photog!
Love the treatment here. Really old, well, oldish. It does remind me of the Andrea Doria from The perfect storm, even though the vessel looks nothing like it. Those birds are quite hungry by the look of it! :)

Mark Fuge
01-22-2010, 02:19 PM
Nice image and application, Denise.

It seems a little light to me, but as you have not reached my age, I guess it might be old to your generation! :D

I like the image and the edging. However, if it were mine, I would desaturate it slightly and darken the white objects; birds, boat, etc. But ...

Your image ... your vision.

Christopher Miller
01-22-2010, 03:55 PM
Very nice, Denise! Definitely has that old look. This looks perfect just as presented, though I can't help but wonder how this would look as a B&W or sepia(Not surprising considering my love for desaturating and toning! :)).

Julie Kenward
01-22-2010, 06:15 PM
I love that you used color in your aged look, Denise. I think it's MUCH harder to do than toning with a sepia or b&w image. I still think the boat looks a little "new" - maybe dull the white a bit more or add even more texture to that part. The rest of it is great...it looks like all the photographs in my mother's drawer!

denise ippolito
01-22-2010, 06:52 PM
Thankyou all for the comments. I appreciate it.
Christopher, I am so happy to see your new avatar and be able to put a face w/ the name.