PDA

View Full Version : Homage to Ron van Dongen

Anita Bower
01-22-2010, 07:10 AM
I'm not sure if this image should be here or in OOTB. I'm putting it here because we did toned images once. But, move it if that seems right.

This is a tribute to one of my favorite flower photographers, Ron van Dongen (http://www.ronvandongen.com/thumbs_wow.php).

Nikon D300, Sigma 105mm macro lens, 1/2 sec., f16, ISO 125. Indoors, natural light, tripod. PP: PS7, converted to B&W and brought out detail in Topaz Detail. Rotated

Do you think I need to rotate it more to the right?

Vida van der Walt
01-22-2010, 12:28 PM
Hi Anita. It is very rare to see a white on white image and this is beautiful. A wonderful tribute.:)

Julie Kenward
01-22-2010, 12:42 PM
I had to giggle a bit...that website will drive Ed Vatza to drink! ;)

Anita, this is a lovely image...I do wish there was a little more room at the top of the image - it feels a bit tight there. I like the diagonal and the strong center details.

Can you elaborate more on how you did the conversion - it doesn't look like a normal b&w conversion.

Anita Bower
01-22-2010, 01:08 PM
I had to giggle a bit...that website will drive Ed Vatza to drink! ;)

Anita, this is a lovely image...I do wish there was a little more room at the top of the image - it feels a bit tight there. I like the diagonal and the strong center details.

Can you elaborate more on how you did the conversion - it doesn't look like a normal b&w conversion.

I know what you mean about Ed. (Hi Ed. :D) Van Dongen's site does have stunning color images that aren't against white BGs!

I converted to B&W using Topaz Detail. Then, I used Photoshop's Color Balance to bring in the tone. I couldn't remember how to tone images the way you taught us. (I will look it up for the next one I do.)

Thanks for your suggestion about room at the top.

Anita Bower
01-22-2010, 01:09 PM
Hi Anita. It is very rare to see a white on white image and this is beautiful. A wonderful tribute.:)
Thank you. I love white on white, and white backgrounds in general, to the dismay of Ed Vatza. :)

Barbara Kile
01-22-2010, 01:25 PM
I like the tones, the comp and the delicate feel to this, Anita. You have less room on the left side of the frame and that is not an issue for me so I'm not fussed about the top using this particular crop.

Does Ed know we are using his name in vain? :D

Ed Vatza
01-22-2010, 01:52 PM
Sticks and stones my dears! Sticks and stones.

Just picked up a book entitled "Ignore Everybody and 39 Other Keys to Creativity". Think "Ignore Everybody" will become my mantra!

And Barbara, I also have a copy of "Photography and the Creative Life" on it's way!

I now return you to your regular programming.

Jerry van Dijk
01-22-2010, 03:07 PM
Hi Anita, this is truely awesome! A true hommage to Van Dongens work, judging from his website. You did very well with the white on white. I took some photos of snow against snow recently, but was hardly able to make the white subject stand out from its white background. Any special PP trick to make the subject stand out from the BG?
Btw I like your composition as is.

Mike Moats
01-22-2010, 03:57 PM
Hey Anita, I think it's better then some of his stuff. I love the look, and i think the balance of the whites and tone is perfect.

Ed Vatza
01-22-2010, 04:15 PM
Hey Anita, I think it's better then some of his stuff. I love the look, and i think the balance of the whites and tone is perfect.

Hey Mike, shouldn't you be doing something... like writing an artist statement :D ... instead of making nasty references to my work? :eek:

Besides, I'm "ignoring everybody". :D

And Anita, just because I happen to not like white backgrounds doesn't mean I don't appreciate excellent work! And this is excellent work! I don't want that lost in the jib jab.

Now for Mike...:p

Ed Vatza
01-22-2010, 06:01 PM

Serious now (I was on the iPhone from the office earlier, getting punchy, and wanting to get out of there). I think the "his" you are referring to is RvD and not me (if me that's fine too). Having gotten home and checked out RvD's website, I think the sword should be laid at AB's feet. I think this image is better than anything I saw on the RvD website. And I AM serious.

Of course I had to wear sunglasses in order to see through all that blinding white glare... :D

Mike Moats
01-22-2010, 07:26 PM
Yes I was referring to RVD,

Ed, if you're going to ignore everybody, then you have to ignore everything that Hugh MacLeod has to say in his book.:D So you won't learn anything.:D

Anita Bower
01-23-2010, 07:59 AM
Hi Anita, this is truely awesome! A true hommage to Van Dongens work, judging from his website. You did very well with the white on white. I took some photos of snow against snow recently, but was hardly able to make the white subject stand out from its white background. Any special PP trick to make the subject stand out from the BG?
Btw I like your composition as is.
Thank you. I'm delighted you like this image. It was fun to create.

Re. snow on snow--I haven't tried that, but I happened to come across this post (http://insights.betterphoto.com/2010/01/icebergs-in-antarctica-photo-exposure-challenge.html) today that might be helpful.

Jerry van Dijk
01-23-2010, 09:22 AM
Hi Anita, thanks for the link! I more or less followed this strategy, but ended up with very little contrast between FG and BG. In your image, however, the petals stand out nicely from the BG. Maybe you just got more shadow here. My image was taken outside under overcast conditions (it just stopped snowing). I will post it later, so you can see what I mean.

Mike Fuhr
01-23-2010, 11:11 PM
Anita -- love this one. And after following the link, I agree with Mike Moats. This one has more zing!:)

Anita Bower
01-24-2010, 07:51 AM
I thank you all for your comments and support!

Jackie Schuknecht
02-12-2010, 11:06 AM
Missed this one Anita, love the w on w, and a bit of sepia. Nice texures and comp. Well done.

Anita Bower
02-12-2010, 11:14 AM
Thanks, Jackie!:)