PDA

View Full Version : Pastel Sea

Don Lacy
01-21-2010, 08:59 PM
I am way out of practice when it comes to shooting landscape images but when I saw the pastel colors building in the Eastern sky from the setting sun being reflected in the calm Atlantic Ocean I pulled over and tried to capture the wonderful light and mood. This is a very simple composition and I hope the light and colors are enough to hold the viewers eye.

40D, 70-200 f/4 IS at 70mm, 1/60 at f/6.3, Aperture Priority, Evaluative metered +2, Hand Held

Dave Mills
01-22-2010, 10:56 AM
Hi Don, I believe the light and colors are enough to hold the viewers eye. What aids the composition are the different lines of clouds throughout the image bringing the eye throughout. I feel you were successful in your goal!

D. Robert Franz
01-22-2010, 07:02 PM
Simple and elegant but seems to lack a center of interest... You did capture the mood as you stated however...

David Thomasson
01-22-2010, 08:06 PM
I really like this one. The pastel colors are perfect. The contrast at the horizon pulls the eye there and, once arrived, the
little pale ridge of white clouds enhances the sense of distance and depth. This would look great printed very large (and
I mean feet, not inches).

Stu Bowie
01-23-2010, 02:58 AM
Don, I like the comp, and of course, you captured lovely pastel colours. Im ok with the simplicity.

Robert Amoruso
01-23-2010, 01:03 PM
To me, images at the ocean can work well without a center of interest. One of the things I enjoy most at the beach is the wide-open look, the serene feeling I get at the seaside, drinking in the sights.

Images that can get that "feeling" across to me work. What works is the use of colors, forms, patterns, textures to convey a sense of being there and making the eye want to linger.

This one does that for me. That is why I make them myself. Nice work Don.

Roman Kurywczak
01-23-2010, 08:13 PM
Hey Don,
Soft pastels are beautiful. While I am OK w/o the center of interest because of the colors/mood....for me there is a bit too much seperation between the cloud layers. For me....if you had stronger cloud formations.....this would be off the charts! Always the problem in landscape photography!

Don Lacy
01-23-2010, 09:16 PM
Thanks to everyone for your comments I was afraid that this image spoke more to me because of my love of the Ocean and would not work unless you were there.

Robert Amoruso
01-23-2010, 11:10 PM
Thanks to everyone for your comments I was afraid that this image spoke more to me because of my love of the Ocean and would not work unless you were there.

Exactly my point above Don. :)