PDA

View Full Version : Jabiru

Andy MacDougall
01-21-2010, 06:24 PM
Jabiru or Black Necked Stork (Ephippiorhynchus asiaticus)

Spotted early one morning at local wetlands rehabilitation centre. To capture one in the wild was a first for me.

http://andymacdougall.zenfolio.com/img/v5/p792133644-5.jpg

D300, 300 2.8 @ f/4.5 ISO200, -1 EV in aperture mode with spot metering.

Hand held.

Quite shy and nervous birds usually not found near population areas. Had a lovely 1/2 and hour just me and him (female has yellow eyes, male tends to young - there was an even shier juvie nearby that lef the water as I approached and stayed on the bank further away)

Andy

Axel Hildebrandt
01-21-2010, 06:32 PM
While this looks like a beautiful bird, the posted image is too small to say anything meaningful. You can post images up to 800 pixels vertically. If you have a larger version, you can edit your original post and replace the image with a different version.

Todd Frost
01-21-2010, 06:45 PM
At this size it's hard to critiqe and give comments but from what I can see it is a very nice image of this stork with great environment. I would crop a little from the right of image to move bird out of center and right in fram. Hope you repost a larger version. TFS
Todd

Tony Whitehead
01-21-2010, 07:49 PM
Lovely capture, Andy. I really like the reflection and OOF flowers. I was lucky enough to see one from the esplanade at Cairns a couple of years ago (could quite believe what I was seeing coming in to land as had only seen them up the Daintree before) - didn't have decent light though. May need a touch of CCW rotation but I don't have access to PS on this computer to measure.

Andy MacDougall
01-21-2010, 08:58 PM
Thanks guys.

Tony -

Yeah you do get the occassional one down by the 'nade and botanical gardens lakes.

This place is 2 mins from home north of cairns (near Yorkey's Knob tip!) - converted sand quarries. There are maybe 5 or 6 lakes, hides, barbies ! etc.

Andy