View Full Version : new carry-on policy for US flights as of today

John Chardine
01-21-2010, 04:48 PM
Here's the Transport Canada web site with the details:

http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/mediaroom/infosheets-menu-5811.htm

Looks like the situation is easing.

Deborah Harrison
01-21-2010, 05:14 PM
Thanks goodness things are easing. However, because of the knee-jerk reaction whenever a plot is discovered I'm travelling in such a way that, if forced, I have a bag in which I can check in camera gear.
Why not charge for carry on instead of checked luggage and allow people with valuable equipment pay a fee for either gate checking fragile stuff or carrying it on. That might also help solve the chaotic fight in the US for storage space for carry on.

Katherine Enns
01-21-2010, 11:39 PM
Thanks for posting this useful info, John. Any advice for current rules regarding leaving the Pacific Northwest of the United States or New York, then to Europe would be appreciated. Also within Europe right now.

kat

John Chardine
01-24-2010, 06:55 PM
Thanks for posting this useful info, John. Any advice for current rules regarding leaving the Pacific Northwest of the United States or New York, then to Europe would be appreciated. Also within Europe right now.

kat

As far as I know Catherine, nothing has changed. Your originating flight sets the rules on future connections. E.g., if originating on Air Canada, they allow 2 carry-ons as per their regs. Connections should/will honour this. The carry-ons have to fit in their frames at the airports. Have a look at:

http://www.aircanada.com/en/travelinfo/airport/baggage/carry-on.html

Katherine Enns
01-24-2010, 07:20 PM
Thanks John. It's good to know that airlines should honor the rules of the original flight. I wrote this down for future reference.

kat

John Chardine
01-24-2010, 10:04 PM
To be safe, only assume they will do this if all legs are on one ticket and your checked bags have gone right through to destination (i.e., the airlines involved have a baggage agreement).

Katherine Enns
01-24-2010, 11:23 PM
ok!

I am always amazed at how new "rules" get invented in transit. And this is true from the Equator to the Arctic. My rule of thumb is carry everything absolutely essential in one carry on bag, bring the pictures /data/samples back, and be prepared to check or lose anything else. It makes for tough decisions about what is important.

Thanks again, John.

kat