PDA

View Full Version : Sunbird on protea

Ignacio Yufera
01-21-2010, 03:57 PM
A male Southern Double-collared Sunbird near cape Town, South Africa.

Light was poor, but I find that glossy feathers often come out better in overcast conditions.
I have some doubts regarding the crop: is the flower too centered in the frame? Also, do you find the OOF flower behind the bird distracting?

Comments much appreciated.

Canon 1D MkIII, Canon 800 f/5.6; 1/125 s @ f/8, ISO 640

Steve Zamek
01-21-2010, 04:16 PM
Great bird on a great flower. I love the pair of them together. The bird is interesting enough to compete with this over-the-top flower. The posture of the bird, sharpness, background are all quite nice. The cropping, I think, is fine. The only problem I see, as you pointed out, is the out-of-focus orange flower in the background; I do find it distracting.

Ákos Lumnitzer
01-21-2010, 04:29 PM
Ignacio
This is really impressive! Love the soft light, sharpness and image design. Perhaps the bird is a little centered? I would try and leave a little more room left and below (for the stem) and place the subject in the top right ROT point? Or move closer for a tighter view? Either way, I also think the orange OOF flower is a distraction. Could you have stepped to your right to eliminate it or place it in a better position?

tiziano cei
01-21-2010, 05:05 PM
this colours are amazing, good job!

Ignacio Yufera
01-21-2010, 05:27 PM
I would try and leave a little more room left and below (for the stem) and place the subject in the top right ROT point? Or move closer for a tighter view? Either way, I also think the orange OOF flower is a distraction. Could you have stepped to your right to eliminate it or place it in a better position?

Thank you all. Ákos, there were flowers all around and the bird chose them randomly... lucky I got just one in the BG! I?ve also thought about letting more of the stem in, but felt the bird appeared too small then... thanks for the suggestions.

LouBuonomo
01-21-2010, 05:28 PM
Wow, what a bird and setting ! I too find the OOF bloom a distraction.
Lou

Lise De Serres
01-21-2010, 05:42 PM
What an exquisite composition but I too find the OOF flower in the background distracting!!

Lorant Voros
01-21-2010, 06:24 PM
Agree with the OOF flower being distracting, but nice bird and flower, colors,exposure, sharpness are nice too.I hope you can catch this little beauty again with a cleaner BG. Keep them coming.

Tony Whitehead
01-21-2010, 08:07 PM
This image really makes me miss the Cape. Perfect soft light. I don't mind the OOF pincushion in the BG too much as the nature of the plant is to have lots of blooms - darkening it down slightly may be an option. I would be tempted to crop most of the stem out and add canvas at the top. Was this at Kirstenbosch by any chance?

Marc Mol
01-21-2010, 11:30 PM
Perhaps if you had the chance to hide the BG flower directly behind your subject flower, simply by lowering the camera?
The Protea itself is beautiful and with the Sunbird perched on it just really enhances overall.
TFS

Ignacio Yufera
01-22-2010, 05:44 PM
Was this at Kirstenbosch by any chance?

Yes, it was at Kirstenbosch. Many hours in the rain waiting for a break...:o I hope to go back soon with better weather.

Juan Aragonés
01-22-2010, 06:01 PM
Crop works for me instead of the fact that it is a bit centered. The orange out of focus flower in the Bg is distracting but, man, I will be more than happy having this beauty in my compact flash :D
Soft light is fantastic and the pose of the bird is perfect. Very good job