PDA

View Full Version : Elk

DanWalters
01-02-2008, 07:25 PM
Elk performing a flehmen response in Rocky Mountain National Park. Too tight?
This image is not cropped.

Canon 20D
Sigma 500mm f4.5 lens

Maxis Gamez
01-02-2008, 07:28 PM
Hello Dan,

I don't know if this image would work better in horizontal so you have the full head but is not working for me in vertical. Do you have one in horizontal?

DanWalters
01-02-2008, 07:30 PM
Thanks for the advice. No, I do not have a horizontal image.

Maxis Gamez
01-02-2008, 07:49 PM
Thanks for the advice. No, I do not have a horizontal image.

Hi Dan,

After looking at your image again, I think horizontal perhaps would make the Elk too small in the frame, after all your main interest in the picture is the face expression.

I like it as it is now.... :)

Jim Caldwell
01-02-2008, 08:21 PM
I agree with Maxis - even thought the antlers are out of frame, the expression on the face of the Elk makes the image and it is obvious that you intentionally framed the Elk that way. I think if it was a bit looser, the impact of the expression would be lost and if any tighter you would lose the ears. You might consider taking just a bit more off the top to bring the eyes closer to the point about 1/3 from the top

George DeCamp
01-02-2008, 08:45 PM
"I'm all eyes and ears", love them both. The ears are very cool sticking straight out from the sides. I see lots of Antlers in other images, this is different, I think it works as is.

Judy Lynn Malloch
01-02-2008, 09:02 PM
Dan I think this is a very striking image and I love the dramatique pose you captured here. I feel if it was cropped in any other manner that the whole essence of this image might be lost. Love it as is.

Fabs Forns
01-02-2008, 09:36 PM
Another vote for the presentation here. Full of impact.

Big welcome to BPN, more please :)

John Blumenkamp
01-02-2008, 10:40 PM
Hi Dan, I think this is a fantastic image, with the softer light and tones letting the dynamic expression of the elk really shine through. The head-on look works really well in my opinion, giving that 'eye contact' drama to the image.

One suggestion might be to clone the small dark area on the body of the elk along the edge of the frame in the lower lefthand corner... for me, my eye is drawn to it. That might just be me, but a quick clone may eliminate any other viewer being distracted by it.

A really beautiful capture... congrats.

Linda Robbins
01-02-2008, 11:26 PM
Hi Dan, I love the image just as it is. A great behavior in a dramatic capture. Well done!

Linda

David Kennedy
01-02-2008, 11:32 PM
Hi Dan,
I tend to be the contrarian, and I do feel that it is a little tight for comfort. Looser, and pointed upwards a little more, would be my preference. But that's just my $0.02 :)

D. Robert Franz
01-02-2008, 11:38 PM
Love this image. Lots of impact...

Stephen Stephen
01-03-2008, 12:12 PM
Dan I really like the image as posted. I wish thet I had it in my collection.

Jasper Doest
01-05-2008, 05:54 AM
This would be really impressive in big print.....I like wildlife photographs that have a some space to move into....this is really tight in frame...but this is soo tight I kind of like it. Good choice!

Leo Miller
01-06-2008, 05:15 PM
Congratulations Dan
I really like the shot. I've hoped to get one like that for several years, maybe this year. I like the up in your face shot. In fact since it is a tight shot I like it more as a square crop, loosing the chest.
Again a very nice capture. I'd like to have it hanging on my wall.