PDA

View Full Version : Osprey heading home

Desmond Chan
01-21-2010, 04:24 AM
Going through some old stuff and found this one. Taken last May.

D300 200-400 + 1.4TC = 550mm on tripod. ISO 640 f8 1/1000 s.

Cropped. Used Topaz Adjust to open up the shadow areas.

Apparently, depth of field is far from ideal :o

Comments welcome and thank you for looking !!

Joe Brown
01-21-2010, 07:11 AM
The dof doesn't bother me too much as the head and fish appear to be in focus. Great capture with the fish. As I told the previous poster it would be better if you posted a larger image closer to the 1024x800 limit. Your camera angle is great, looks like it was taken from a bridge or pier as you were on level with the bird. The light and exposure is good. The HA and eye contact is great.

Joe

Thanaboon Jearkjirm
01-21-2010, 08:11 AM
Love the turn in the head, looks like it is checking you out. The catch is a big plus especially with an open mouth, show sign of struggle to me. DOF doesn't bother me since the focus seem to be on the head. I like the side lighting in this image since it help highlighted the head. Also like the background, the blurred line help implies motion.

Alfred Forns
01-21-2010, 12:08 PM
Hi Desmond I like the angle from the side, good look at the perch and dof wise don't think more would have brought the fish within rage, did focus on the eye area !!! bg looks good and well exposed, wing wise I like them stretch but is just a personal preference !!! Excellent image !!!

Jeff Cashdollar
01-21-2010, 01:52 PM
Nice action shot and well exposed. Head turn is a plus and great survival moment in nature. Agree with nice lighting and DoF is fine, sharp eye makes it - well done.

Lance Peters
01-21-2010, 03:36 PM
Love the action, the head turn and the eye contact makes the image.
DOF doesnt bother me here.
Good show.

david cramer
01-21-2010, 06:23 PM
Agree with others that dof isn't a problem. Focus is on the intense eye contact and the catch of the day. Beautifully done.

Gus Cobos
01-21-2010, 06:29 PM
Hi Desmond,
I like the action captured, the direct eye contact is great. The depth of field does not bother me...good show...keep them coming...:cool:

Desmond Chan
01-21-2010, 07:49 PM
looks like it was taken from a bridge or pier as you were on level with the bird

More like on level with the bird. What I've found is when the ospreys are on their approach to their nests, they fly low close to the water.

The attached picture shows the positions of the nest and my setup.

Thank you for the comments, folks !