PDA

View Full Version : Green Damsel

Christopher Miller
01-20-2010, 11:00 AM
I took this shot this past summer during my "damselfly period" and only got around to processing it recently. Any comments and suggestions would be most appreciated.

Olympus SP-550 UZ
f5.0 @ 1/60, ISO 100, -0.7 EV
Aperture priority mode, pattern metering, cloudy WB
Processed in PS CS2; cropped, curves adjustment, slight saturation boost, noise reduction, cloned out a grass stem and a few dark areas from the BG, and toned down the light areas in the BG a bit

Jerry van Dijk
01-20-2010, 01:33 PM
Hi Christopher. Nice details! Awesome species as well. Do you happen to know it's name? It resembles a species we get here in Holland. I like the green on green and the position of the damselfly in the frame (pointing nicely into the LL corner). I do feel that the BG is a little too busy, mainly because of the bright green spots all around. I also think you have a little too much empty space to the right of the perch. Some people will object to the diagonal of the perch ending in a corner. By cropping from the right, you will solve 2 problems at once. You'll have to adjust the position of the damselfly for composition in that case.

Julie Kenward
01-20-2010, 08:06 PM
Christopher, nice details! I looked at this and my initial thought was "wow, that DF really blends in with the BG." Then I realized it's because the entire image was so oversaturated in yellow. Try pulling back the yellow channel with either saturation/hue sliders or with color balance and see if you don't think it helps push him out front a little bit more.

Shallower aperture would have got less plant in the BG but probably would have sacrificed the nice details as well. What lens did you use?

Christopher Miller
01-20-2010, 10:49 PM
Thanks Jules and Jerry! I appreciate the comments.

Jules, I pulled back the yellow channel as you suggested and I think you're right that it helps the DF stand out more. Thanks for the suggestion. Since my camera is a bridge camera, I don't have a choice of lenses. This shot was taken using the super macro mode with an equivalent focal length of about 58-59mm.

Jerry, I tried your idea of cropping some off the right, but personally I didn't like how it looked.

Vida van der Walt
01-21-2010, 01:51 AM
Hi Christopher. Beautiful image with lovely detail and soft light. I like the extra space on the right as I personally always prefer space for the insects to look into.:)

Christopher Miller
01-21-2010, 08:28 AM
Thanks Vida! That was my reasoning too.

Jerry, I forgot to answer your question. No, I don't know what species this is. Frankly I'm not too good at putting names with the different dragonflies and damselflies I've seen.

Julie Kenward
01-21-2010, 08:29 AM
Great! I always love that golden yellow light but sometimes it does our subjects a disservice when it blends them in with the BG. Nice color correction, Christopher!

Christopher Miller
01-21-2010, 08:30 AM
Thanks Jules! :)

Ken Childs
01-21-2010, 09:12 AM
http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p193/kjchilds/BPN/P6160242BPN3-NR.jpg

I prefer a softer BG so I thought some noise reduction might help. I ran it through Neat Image.

Let me know what you think.

Christopher Miller
01-21-2010, 10:28 AM
Thanks Ken, that does look a bit better. I'll give it a try myself.

Jerry van Dijk
01-22-2010, 09:12 AM
Ken, that makes a huge difference! Since I also work with a bridge camera, which produces a lot of noise, I immediately downloaded the Neatimage demo version. Worked astoundingly well with some noisy ISO-200 (which I try to avoid as much as possible) images. Thanks for showing!