PDA

View Full Version : Lovely Duckies

JaneMizzi
01-20-2010, 01:39 AM
I love practicing on ducks, they are so relaxing and oh so cute :)

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4038/4290122916_92ec3e5a56.jpg

Everyone's thoughts much appreciated :)

Desmond Chan
01-20-2010, 02:00 AM
Hi Jane, first off, under most circumstances, it is better to have the duck facing more towards you/viewers than away. You shot it from the side and behind. Not necessary a bad thing but it would be better if the duck had its head turned more towards you. Second thing I noticed is that your image looks tilted and so you may want to consider some rotation adjustment. Thirdly, the image appears a bit dark on my monitor. I know, I know, I can always turn up the brightness a bit to make it looks brighter. But, it could also be your photo is under-exposed. So, let's hear what other say about that one. Then I also think this image could use a bit less room on the right hand side. But that could very well be my own preference. Other certainly could disagree. The sharpness seems to be there. Like the water droplets.

Thanks for sharing and looking forward to more from you !!

JaneMizzi
01-20-2010, 02:07 AM
Thanks desmond :) hard to tell about brightness coz I only have a laptop to work on which is annoying so I doubt I will ever get the brightness correct :) Can you explain a bit more what you mean by tilted? I cant really see that it is lopsided but it might just be my eyes. Absoloutely understand about the duck facing towards me and normally I do aim for that, but for some reason i really like the position he is in :) Thanks again!

Desmond Chan
01-20-2010, 02:32 AM
Can you explain a bit more what you mean by tilted? I cant really see that it is lopsided but it might just be my eyes. Absoloutely understand about the duck facing towards me and normally I do aim for that, but for some reason i really like the position he is in :) Thanks again!

It's your photo and so your call. Please yourself first :)

Did some quick work on your image for your reference.

Lance Peters
01-20-2010, 02:47 AM
Hi Jane - agree with Desmond - if you have a look at the histogram you will see whilst it is to the right of centre - it is only just so, you want to push the histogram as far to the right as possible.
What Desmond may have done is set a black and white point via levels in Photoshop.
Do post your full shooting info - it will help others help you.

JaneMizzi
01-20-2010, 03:26 AM
Thanks Desmond, I see what you mean now :) Thanks for the reminder lance, completely forgot to put up my info, whoops!
1/1000, f5.6, iso 400 :) I still need to work out exposure and how it works, will get onto it tomorrow (day off work :))

Gus Cobos
01-20-2010, 06:13 AM
Hi Jane. These are beautiful subjects, I agree with you about practicing your photo captures on them...agree with the techs. and good advise given...Desmond's repost improves your image...looking forward to your next one...:cool:

Alfred Forns
01-20-2010, 01:47 PM
Hi Jane Desmond gave a great critique and fully agree.

Can't stress enough to look closely at your histogram, will be easy getting the correct exposure, make sure there is data on the last box to the right !!!