Exposure Program = Manual
ISO Speed Ratings = 400
Metering Mode = Spot
Flash = Flash did not fire, compulsory flash mode
Focal Length = 400mm
Exposure Mode = Manual exposure
Full Frame
Owl was baited

This is the image I used for my avatar. Captured on an overcast day.

Steve Foss
01-02-2008, 07:32 PM
This image works quite well for me, Jody. Aside from the prerequisites of sharpness and riveting pose, I like that the stalks of plants on the left counterbalance the fact that the bird is centered side-to-side in the frame. I'm also excited by how well the grays in the owl match the surroundings, delivering a monochromatic effect. The russet colors in the hawk owl's plumage are masked by the angle of capture. That B&W flavor centers focus on the eye and bill even more, since they offer the only real color in the image.

Also, hawk owls are not as easy to capture head on in flight as are many other birds. When hunting from a perch, they generally choose a high perch (telephone pole or treetop) and dive nearly straight down before leveling out to grab prey and steeply climb to another perch.

So as well as an effective composition, it's a difficult capture well done. (Hey, where's the "toasting" smilie!?) :D

Fabs Forns
01-02-2008, 07:32 PM
Got to love overcast days, no shadows or high contrast, you can be out all day!!!

Love the floating feeling here, Jody, great!

Maxis Gamez
01-02-2008, 07:35 PM
Hey Jody,

This is fantastic. I like the owl's surrounding and the details and eyes. Excellent work!

Axel Hildebrandt
01-02-2008, 07:40 PM
I like it as is, including the OOF grass. Is this your avatar?

Jody Melanson
01-02-2008, 07:42 PM
I like it as is, including the OOF grass. Is this your avatar?

Yup, this is my avatar image Axel as stated in my post. :D Thanks all!

Stephen Stephen
01-02-2008, 08:30 PM
Jody lovely image as posted. I like how the bird is in the top third of the frame yet looking down suggesting that it's flight path is dropping. By any chance is this the bird from last winter near Gatineau Quebec?

Jody Melanson
01-02-2008, 08:39 PM
Jody lovely image as posted. I like how the bird is in teh top third of hte frame yet looking down suggesting that it's flight path is dropping. By any chance is this the bird from last winter near Gatineau Quebec?

Although I did get shots of the Hawk Owl in Low, Quebec last year, this Owl is only just over an hour from my home this year, located in Stoney Creek, Ontario.

Thank you and yes he was heading downward in his dive. :)

Neil Knapp
01-02-2008, 08:46 PM
Nice image, Jody. Great techs throughout, and the mood/comp just screams dead of winter.

___
Neil

Chris Davidson
01-02-2008, 10:18 PM
Great capture, Jody!
The head on shot with those big eyes looking at
the viewer is wonderful. Glad you got some grasses in the
image, they give the it a nice sense of place / of belonging.
Sweet shot!

Terry Eddington
01-02-2008, 10:24 PM
Jody, it easy to see why you selected this for your avatar. The separation of the owl from the background with the nearly monochromatic color scheme is excellent. Doesn't matter to me if you "baited" to get this shot or not - it's a difficult capture done well.

Glenn Bartley
01-02-2008, 10:32 PM
You sure cleaned up on this guy Jody. Another great shot.

Matthew Studebaker
01-02-2008, 11:11 PM
amazing image Jody! love it. I picked up a 300mm lens today inspired by your work and letting me try your setup. thanks so much. It should make some fast subjects easier to track.

Mike McCarthy
01-03-2008, 08:58 AM
Nicely done Jody. Love the coming at you big eye contact pose. You have some terrific owl pics. I would liikek some but don't do cold weather very well. lol. Well done.

David Hemmings
01-03-2008, 02:18 PM
Awesome:cool:

Manos Papadomanolakis
03-09-2008, 01:35 PM
Great flight shot!!!