PDA

View Full Version : Canyon View

Mark Fuge
01-19-2010, 01:41 PM
This image was taken at the Grand Canyon a few years ago on slide film. I scanned it prior to modifications. Effect intended to reflect primative lens quality as well as age of image.

Modifications included; B&W w/adjustment and Tint, Vibrance & Saturation, Color Balance, Gaussian Blur, Noise, and Frosted Diffused Glass.

Enjoy!

denise ippolito
01-19-2010, 02:38 PM
Mark, This really does have an old photo look to it. Kinda blurry,grainy and the color toning seems right. I like the border also it adds some interest.

Harold Davis
01-19-2010, 05:41 PM
mark, i think you absolutely nailed what you were trying for. has a really old quality about it. nice job!!

Cheryl Slechta
01-19-2010, 07:14 PM
Mark, it really does look like an old photo. I like the frosted diffused glass addition.

Julie Kenward
01-19-2010, 08:38 PM
Beautiful gradients from top to bottom...my eyes just sink down as the go. I do feel it's a little muddy in the middle of the canyon - as a viewer I want to see a bit more details and a little more change in the light as my eyes drop down - but it's still an excellent vintage photo.

Christopher Miller
01-19-2010, 09:37 PM
You definitely achieved the old photo look, Mark. The only thing I don't like much is the frosted glass border; I think I'd prefer to see just the black frame.

Paul Lagasi
01-19-2010, 10:59 PM
Good work on this one, it does look like an old image...I'd probably go for a bit brighter just to see some detail lower..but fits the theme as presented

Indranil Sircar
01-20-2010, 01:10 AM
Very nice composition, Mark. I really like the old look you have achieved here.

Mark Fuge
01-20-2010, 08:42 AM
Thanks all for viewing and comments. Appreciate it.

As noted, this was a scanned image (one of my first tries) to start. As I have just started scanning slides in the the last two weeks, I have a lot to learn. That is why I chose this image and this interpetation. Having restored many family images of my wife's family over the last few months, for a scapbooking project she had for her daughters Christmas gifts, this is what I found in most of them that had been taken with less than perfect cameras and stored in less than perfect conditions. The muddy areas were on almost all of the images as was the less than perfect focus. The dark areas also are present in the canyon, as the light is very dramatic throughout both the day as well as the changing seasons. I just wanted to show the other side of old photos, as not all are perfect, but they can still represent their shooters vision at the time given the technology and skills of the day.

Again thanks for view and appreciate all your comments.