PDA

View Full Version : It's what leopards do...

Steve Kaluski
01-19-2010, 12:33 PM
Not a huge amount really to say on this one.:) It's what leopards do, hang around in trees and take it easy, :D taken about 4.30pm in Samburu.

Sadly, the guests of other vehicles harassed this leopard so much by getting too close and not giving him the amount of respect and infringing on his 'comfort zone' he required, (because they were all using their mobile phones as cameras) within minutes of taking this shot, he was off and into the scrub, not bee been seen that day!

Steve
MKIII 500f/4 1/200 f/5.6 ISO 400 HH (almost full frame)

Ken Watkins
01-19-2010, 12:48 PM
Steve,

What might be described as a typical pose, I would have preferred a little more head turn, but there you go!

The behaviour you describe is unfortunately becoming typical everywhere (there are a lot of ignorant people going on safari, actually more than a lot), that's why whenever possible I try to self-drive or get a private vehicle.

Steve Kaluski
01-19-2010, 01:38 PM
I think Ken if the head was turned 'slightly' the feeling of intenseness and focus might have been lost?

Vehicles, well I can't really blame the drivers so much, as they have to make a living, for me it's the guests who put the driver and the animals under pressure and should be advised accordingly. Not knowing the terrain I always have a driver and sometimes a guide, if required, full stop! ;) NO gatecrashers:D

Steve

Callie de Wet
01-19-2010, 02:34 PM
Steve
Yes, a LIT, and a very nice one too! And I share your feeling about the ignorant who do not know to keep quiet! So nice when Mr Spotted Cat is lying open like this!:D

Alfred Forns
01-19-2010, 03:41 PM
Perfect pose Steve ... they do know hot to relax !!!

About all I could wish was for the cat to have his tail further back not overlapping the leg !! As is love and one fine image with lots of feel !!!

Fabs Forns
01-19-2010, 05:14 PM
Well fed creature and very good looking too :)
Agree on the tail/foot issue, but would love eto have it in my files :)

Marc Mol
01-19-2010, 10:41 PM
Very nice pose Steve, I guess if he was truly relaxed he'd have all four swinging loose.
It is a shame that this pressure of enthusiastic guests is becoming all too prevalent, but I do think that some of the responsibility should fall on the guides to keep numbers at sightings & volume levels down.
TFS

Harshad Barve
01-20-2010, 03:16 AM
excellent image Steve and I am with Alfred here, Still I would love to see this in my files
TFS

Steve Kaluski
01-20-2010, 03:39 AM
To get the angle, with the 'tail not overlapping the leg' it would mean a move to the right, making the image more of a 'side profile' and in turn loosing some head detail IMHO, not what I wanted, plus limited space too. Once you were in that was it, no moving unless you left, which I did shortly after. What I haven't expanded on, was that shortly after taking this (see mouth) he gave a huge yawn, then move off due to too much pressure as I explained earlier. :)

Steve

Morkel Erasmus
01-20-2010, 03:07 PM
I like this Steve, and the head angle is fine for me. great behavioural shot that keeps my attention on the cat despite the busy surroundings...

Kiran Khanzode
01-20-2010, 03:47 PM
A high quality, clean image. Agree with Al about the tail.