PDA

View Full Version : Late afternoon

John Wilkerson
02-19-2008, 11:26 PM
Photographed this one on the St. Louis Bay in Bay St. Louis MS. Maybe a bit more shutter speed to freeze the wings? I love the look in its face.
Nikon D200
Nikon 200-400 VR
Nikon 1.7 extender
1/500 @f-11
ISO 320

Judd Patterson
02-20-2008, 01:34 AM
A really nice winter plumage Pied-billed Grebe, John. I love the wing stretch and the head angle. I think I would have composed this with the bird a bit lower in the frame instead of centered vertically in the frame. The higher shutter speed (courtesy of a larger aperture) would have been nice like you noted. Getting picky I'd love to see the far wing in a different position to separate it from the bill of the bird, but that can be a difficult to manage...but getting down even lower might have been the answer! Very nice work here!

Nonda Surratt
02-20-2008, 08:35 AM
John,

I think Grebes are so darn cute and you captured the cuteness here well and what Judd said:-)

John Wilkerson
02-20-2008, 10:14 AM
I had plans for a lower angle but this was taken along a seawall of a fairly busy street. Had I been able to get set up along the seawall I would have had a lower angle. This was taken from my truck. Once he saw me he was headed south. Thanks for the tips and the ID I had no idea what it was.

Alfred Forns
02-20-2008, 08:50 PM
Hi John Can only add would have been nice to have the head clear of the wings !! I like the image a lot Those guys need perfect light for good feather reproduction !!!!