PDA

View Full Version : Julodis clouei / Socotra, Yemen

Horacio Scotti
01-19-2010, 12:17 PM
http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x128/marplanauta_bucket/_MG_26061024web.jpg

Canon 30D, Kiron 105

Allen Sparks
01-19-2010, 12:52 PM
amazing detail on this beetle and I like the background too. Please post your shooting specs so we can give a better critique.

Horacio Scotti
01-19-2010, 01:21 PM
Thank Allen; It was shoot with my old Canon 30D and my very very old Kiron 105 lens, shutter speed is 1/15. I don't remenber the f number because I must to work in stop down, f 13 may be. Iso 200, MF, mirror lock-up, tripod, remote switch. No flash, no digital photo retouch.:)

Julie Kenward
01-19-2010, 07:45 PM
Wow, Horacio! No pp? Not even sharpening? That is incredible. I love the details on the bug/beetle especially where the irridescence shows through along the wing edge...just beautiful! I like that we can see the little bits of sand on his underbelly as he crawls along but I could do with a little less OOF foreground (FG). Very nice image overall.

Vida van der Walt
01-20-2010, 01:04 AM
Wonderful detail and a beautiful beetle Horacio. Love the colours and textures as well.:)

Horacio Scotti
01-20-2010, 05:31 AM
Wow, Horacio! No pp? Not even sharpening? That is incredible. I love the details on the bug/beetle especially where the irridescence shows through along the wing edge...just beautiful! I like that we can see the little bits of sand on his underbelly as he crawls along but I could do with a little less OOF foreground (FG). Very nice image overall.

thanks Julie!:) I mean I don't have altered the image or removing elements. Just a little bit of levels, sharpen and contrast. I agree about the background... may be I will try to fix it.

thanks Vida! :)

Anita Bower
01-20-2010, 08:20 AM
Others have said it--very nice work capturing the details of this critter. Wonderful colors and textures! The light-colored, blurred BG works well. Like Jules, the oof foreground, bottom of frame, is a bit distracting.

Christopher Miller
01-20-2010, 10:14 AM
Hi Horacio, Very nice looking beetle. Excellent color and details. Personally I would like to see more space on the right so that the beetle isn't so centered.

Arthur Morris
01-20-2010, 01:38 PM
I love the colors and details in the bug. I think that raising the position of your lens about five inches would have improved this image in several ways. Does anyone want to have a crack at it?

Horacio Scotti
01-20-2010, 05:17 PM
Thank you Anita and Christopher, I agree about your suggestions... I try to fix it the next time.

I love the colors and details in the bug. I think that raising the position of your lens about five inches would have improved this image in several ways. Does anyone want to have a crack at it?

Thank you Mr. Morris (I am most pleased of your advices :))... but usually I prefer to be at the same level of the bug... :) by the way (sorry my poor english) I don't understand the meaning of the sentence "Does anyone want to have a crack at it" :confused:

Arthur Morris
01-20-2010, 06:00 PM
Hi Horacio, YAW. I like to be at the same level as the birds that I photography. For this image I feel that being a bit higher than your subject would be a lot better. I was trying to ask folks why and in what ways the image would better if you had been a bit higher.

Best to look at this with an open mind rather than just saying, "This is how I do it..."

Horacio Scotti
01-21-2010, 05:21 AM
Hi Horacio, YAW. I like to be at the same level as the birds that I photography. For this image I feel that being a bit higher than your subject would be a lot better. I was trying to ask folks why and in what ways the image would better if you had been a bit higher.

Best to look at this with an open mind rather than just saying, "This is how I do it..."

Hi Mr. Morris, shoot the bugs at the same level and as parallel as I can is a rule for me...

but I have think about your suggestion for a while... If I had been higher, we could see more of the top of the bug's beautiful "shield" and the stone OOF in the foreground would be less distracting... yes, I think you are right, thanks.

Usually I try to show the "face" and the eyes of the bug, but sometimes we must to break some rule... I try to think about this the next time :)