PDA

View Full Version : Monarch On Pine

Charles Wesley
01-17-2010, 04:13 PM
I've been impressed with the recent DF & BF images posted on our forum by Ken and Don. Here's a butterfly image more on the artsy side. This one was HH. Could not get him to stay still long enough. No way he would get perpendicular to the camera lens. Just had to take whatever I could get. Still like it. I was on vacation in Nantucket when this picture was made.

Canon EOS- 1D, EF 100- 400 mm. f/4.5- 5.6 IS zoom. No flash was used for the image.

PS/CS4
Neat Image

Julie Kenward
01-17-2010, 09:37 PM
Lovely image, Charles. I love the soft feel of the pine in this and the diffused look overall. I think the butterfly could use a little more selective sharpening, though.

Vida van der Walt
01-18-2010, 03:13 AM
Lovely image Charles. Great use of dof for a soft dreamy look. Agree with Jules on a tiny bit of selective sharpening.:)

Mike Moats
01-18-2010, 05:38 AM
Hey Charles, real like the comp. soft DOF works great. I'm on my laptop and the B-fly sharpness looks fine, but maybe on a larger monitor I could see the softness, as I see phers are mentioning some extra sharpening. Well done.

Anita Bower
01-18-2010, 06:59 AM
I like how the butterfly stands out against the green bg. Seeing a Monarch on a Pine is somewhat unusual, which adds intereest. I think I would darken the light colored out of focus pine below the wings. Very nice image!

Charles Wesley
01-19-2010, 11:21 AM
Thanks Anita, Vida, Mike and Jules. I reposted the image. Let me know what you think. I appreciate your remarks and all critiques from everyone on this forum. It helps me grow as a photographer. Don't always see everything before posting.

Thanks so much....

Anita Bower
01-19-2010, 01:39 PM
Charles: I think it is improved and is a lovely image! I know exactly what you mean about not seeing certaing things before posting. :)

Julie Kenward
01-19-2010, 02:12 PM
Nice job, Charles! I, too, know what you mean...you think it's done, you hit "post" and THEN you see it!

Charles Wesley
01-19-2010, 02:30 PM
Thanks Anita & Jules. Our critiques are designed to help one another. I need ones that help me improve an image or see another way to post it.

Everyone's opinion is important to me. Please strive to give any ideas on how everyone on the forum could improve their images.

Many look awesome IMO. I'm proud to be involved with the other outstanding photographers on BPN....