PDA

View Full Version : Leopard - Habitat

Vinay Lakshman
01-17-2010, 01:34 PM
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2536/4282493876_d7318b0dd3_o.jpg

Photographed in the dense South Indian Forest - Bandipur . Early in the morning . Minimal PP done

Canon EOS 40D
Canon EF 70-200mm F/2.8L IS USM

Aperture Priority - F/2.8
Shutter Speed -1/15
ISO - 400

Steve Kaluski
01-17-2010, 02:14 PM
Hi Vinay & welcome.:)

This is exactly what Leopards do, hang around in trees! Well done.

I might be tempted to reduce the amount of space to the rhs, say about half, then recrop perhaps? Personally, I think you need to reduce the saturation, or at least the hue, as to me, there is too warm a cast over the image (more an early evening shot). Then I would add a bit of selective sharpening only on the Leopard.

This is only my thoughts, however, you took the shot and know what the lighting was like.

TFS
Steve :)

BTW at 1/13sec this is very good, you could have dropped it to f/2.8 to help your shutter speed;)

Alfred Forns
01-17-2010, 04:12 PM
Hi Vinay

Big Warm welcome !!! Excellent find and came up with a good one, would suggest raising the ISO .. you could deal with noise later ... you did come up with a sharp image, great technique.

Agree in cropping from the right to have the animal our of the center, would also reduce saturation, the red channel seems to record stronger all on its own in digital cameras. These early morning images with good light seem to work almost out of the camera with minimal work !!! Looking forward to the next one !!!

Marc Mol
01-17-2010, 05:45 PM
Welcome Vinay!
Very nice image of this Leopard right at home in his treed environment.
Agree on toning down the sat/hue, s/s and ISO increase, well done at 1/13s nonetheless.;)
TFS

Kiran Khanzode
01-17-2010, 06:04 PM
Welcome, Vinay, nice eye contact in the image. I agree with the above folks about the crop, lowering the saturation/color temp and raising the ISO. Exif shows 2.8, so, raising ISO would be the only thing I would have done different. Anyway, there appears no shake/blur in the image, I must say well done at 1/15 sec @200 mm.

PS: I find "neutral" color profile in DPP to be the best one to begin with, others (standard, landscape etc) are too saturated for my eyes.

Todd Frost
01-17-2010, 06:30 PM
Good advice above, so no need to be redundant. Has to be a treat just to see one in the viewfinder. TFS
Todd

Harshad Barve
01-17-2010, 08:25 PM
Big welcome here in Wildlife Vinay , Lovely image and great advise above
TFS

Stu Bowie
01-18-2010, 12:20 AM
Nicely framed amongst the foliage, and love the eye contact. I agree, removing the red/magenta cast will make this pop even more.

Ken Watkins
01-19-2010, 11:50 AM
A little too red for me, 1/13th is there such a shutter speed?

Vinay Lakshman
01-19-2010, 12:00 PM
Thak You everyone for the critiques & comments .
Ken - This image has the SS of 1/15 . But my previous shot of the leopard has a SS of 1/13th of a second :) . I was confused , my mistake . one more correction - Aperture F/2.8

Callie de Wet
01-19-2010, 02:46 PM
To me, the central framing in the large V of the tree trunks wok well. A beautiful LIT, and a big one too! Welcome!

Peter Buntman
01-22-2010, 02:56 PM
Great to see Leopard from different countries, I live in South Africa and mainly photograph leopard so thanks for posting and ill look out for more leopard post from you, Love the pose. All the best Peter<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>