PDA

View Full Version : Cactus Wren buried in Cholla

Gus Hallgren
01-17-2010, 01:12 PM
Hi Folks:

Here's the other Cactus Wren photo I promised you with the other one I posted the other day. It was the same clear blue sunny sky around 2 PM we had then. I might explain that we live at 3000' and have the highest incedence of sunshine in our little corner than anywhere else in the USA, see map here (http://maps.howstuffworks.com/united-states-annual-sunshine-map.htm) If you notice that only tiny bit of red in the lower part of Arizona that is Green Valley where we live. Then to compound the harsh light at that time of day, all our dwellings are adobe painted white. I know, "excuses! excuses". Then yestery it was so overcast I couldn't get a good photo of over 50 Cedar Waxwings on the very top of our Arizona Ash.

This is the Cactus Hen's usual home.

However, the sunshine is good for the economy, as we double our population with Snowbirds in the winter months.

Enough talk, eh!

Uncle Gus

CC's invited.

Olympus E-620, Zukio 75-300 @ 600mm HH
Manual Exposure
F/5.6, 1/1000's, 100 ISO, 0.00eV, Auto WB

Colin Knight
01-17-2010, 02:16 PM
Very nicely done. I love the habitat! The only area it's obtrusive to me is where it's covering the breast of the bird.

Gus Hallgren
01-17-2010, 02:34 PM
Hi:

Thanks for looking at the Casctus Wren and your kind comments

I like this painting done here (http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php?p=427065#post427065) in OOTB for a different view.

Keep smiling

Uncle Gus

Alfred Forns
01-17-2010, 04:13 PM
Hi Gus Your doing just fine :)

I like how you got him in the clear mostly, I like the setting and could wish for the oof element not being there but is not detracting mush !! Good one !!!

Gus Cobos
01-17-2010, 06:34 PM
Hi Uncle Gus,
You did well...I like the capture of your little friend in it's natural habitat...the head angle and sharp eye contact are superb, the color rendition is very good...looking forward to your next one...good show...:):cool:

Oscar Zangroniz
01-17-2010, 10:31 PM
Great habitat capture uncle Gus. Like the HA and Bg.
Regards,

Lance Peters
01-18-2010, 12:47 AM
hi uncle gus -like it - Included habitat is fine with me.
OOF foreground element is a tad distracting - but still like this.
TFS

Gus Hallgren
01-18-2010, 09:25 AM
Hi Folks

Thanks to all for looking at my photo and your kind comments.

Best regards

Uncle Gus

louise lebel
01-18-2010, 09:59 AM
Hello Gus,

I do like the excellent focus on the bird, his face/eye being so clear. If I may suggest a portrait well cropped of this bird in profile may solve the problem of the blurried-distracting-foreground that everyone so aptly noticed. It is my beginner's opinion, could a professional suggest a better appraoch?

Louise, new at this (pardon my french accent)

Gus Hallgren
01-19-2010, 01:30 PM
Louise:

We are on the same wave length reaching from France to the high desert in Arizona as on Sunday I had posted a portrait here (http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php?t=54867)

Thank you for your kind coments, Merci :)

You're French accent is not noticeable, and I never did learn French. During WWll in Europe I got along well with "Le fille est belle"

Best regards

Uncle Gus