PDA

View Full Version : Sunrise - Sandy Hook, NJ

Ed Vatza
01-16-2010, 07:58 PM
http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s1/EdV_02/1001_SandyHookLandscapesLighthouses.jpg

Image made this morning at Chokecherry Beach, Sandy Hook, NJ.

Canon 50D; 24-70 2.8L w/ Singh-Ray Vari-ND to lengthen exposure; tripod-mounted.

6.0 sec @ f/22; ISO 100; -2/3 EV

Roman Kurywczak
01-17-2010, 12:10 PM
Hey Ed,
Pretty cool comp as I like the way the rocks frame the FG and beach with the nice sky. I like the colors of the sky that the long e brought out but do wonder if you missed focus on the FG rocks....appear slightly soft so see if a bit more usm can help bring them out a touch more. I think you composed this very nicely in not one of the easiest locals too!

Julie Kenward
01-17-2010, 09:44 PM
Beautiful colors and mood to this, Ed. I agree that the rocks look soft (especially compared to the driftwood on the right). I think the sky totally makes this image sing but the overall comp is well done.

Ed Vatza
01-17-2010, 10:31 PM
Thanks Roman. Thanks Jules. Appreciate the feedback.

I have been playing with the shapening for the past 30 minutes or so and keep not liking the result. With Nik Sharpener Pro, I can select the rocks using a control point and selectively sharpen. With the Structure sharpening, I can bring a lot of detail back into the rocks... maybe more than actually existed! :eek: The problem I keep encountering is that even though I select the rocks, the sharpening is also affecting the sand and driftwood, I think, because of the similar tonality. The place this shows up the most is the driftwood would gets a pronounced halo-like effect which I obviously don't want. I should have kept one of the edits to show you but didn't. Anyway, for now, I am leaving the image as is. The rocks are not meant to be a focal point but rather a frame and I was very close to them while focusing out into the distance. Even at f/22, they could be a touch soft, I guess.

Any further suggestions appreciated. Ya got me thinkin' and tinkerin'. :)

Dave Mills
01-18-2010, 09:33 AM
Hi Ed, I also like the way the foreground is used as a frame. Your timing caught a beautiful sky. The hyperfocal distance at F22 is around 3 feet. Which means anything closer than 3 feet from your lense will be out of focus. I don't know if you were closer or not...

Ed Vatza
01-19-2010, 02:44 PM
Hi Ed, I also like the way the foreground is used as a frame. Your timing caught a beautiful sky. The hyperfocal distance at F22 is around 3 feet. Which means anything closer than 3 feet from your lense will be out of focus. I don't know if you were closer or not...

Think you nailed it Dave. I was set up in those rocks - the tripod legs were on the rocks. Didn't measure distance but it was probably within three feet.

Robert Amoruso
01-19-2010, 03:17 PM
Hi Ed,

Dave beat me to it as I just got around to checking the HFD for your setup after looking at the image yesterday.