Jeff Cashdollar
01-16-2010, 07:22 PM
Canon 7D & 400MM f/5.6
HH
ISO=400
AV+1
1/200
f/5.6
Front evening low light - lot's of rain here lately - went down to lake and found some Geese :)

LRII--->CS4

Maybe some off the top??

Oscar Zangroniz
01-16-2010, 10:48 PM
Very nice Jeff. Excellent HA and eye contact. whites look good, and extremly sharp.
Congrats

Gail Spitler
01-16-2010, 11:14 PM
Hi Jeff - agree with Oscar. This is very nice; the warm light is beautiful. Not sure about the composition, but I think portraits of birds are often difficult to compose well - no doubt this is my problem not yours. :)
Well done
Cheers
Gail

Jeff Cashdollar
01-16-2010, 11:19 PM
Gail, Anyone,

I am always looking for suggestions to improve my composition eye.

Feel free to repost - love it!!

Gail Spitler
01-16-2010, 11:36 PM
Hi Jeff - I really don't know if a tighter crop is better; I have attached one here. For me the problem is what to do with the long neck. I suspect that it leads the viewer out of the image. Going long and including part of the body doesn't always seem to help either. Certainly the warm light it your image and the strong focus in the eye, helps to hold the viewer.
So bottom line - just mullings, no real answers I'm afraid.
Cheers
Gail

kostas nianiopoulos
01-17-2010, 07:13 AM
Hi Jeff good image u got there color and eye contact is super . well done

Thanaboon Jearkjirm
01-17-2010, 07:22 AM
Love the warm light, the fine detail, sharpness and beautiful background. I even like the warm light refection on the beak. I might also go for a tighter crop, but not as much as Gail.

Jeff Cashdollar
01-17-2010, 01:15 PM
Gail maybe something in between, thanks for the suggestions. I think you are right, OP the neck may be too long.

Let's see what other's say:)

Thanks Thanaboon - I was not going to post this image, it seemed average. However, I liked the the warm light too - appreciate the nice comments.

Gus Cobos
01-17-2010, 05:41 PM
Hi Jeff,
I like the capture...this is sweet light, but coming at an angle not fron behind you, thus the shadow cast on the right side of the subject. I like the feather details and color rendition. The eye is tack sharp...looking forward to your next one...:cool:

Ákos Lumnitzer
01-20-2010, 03:54 PM
I like this Jeff!!! Good work mate. I am not keen on square crops, therefore my suggestion would be to tighten from above and left! :)

Jeff Cashdollar
01-20-2010, 04:18 PM
Akos,

Great to hear from you again and agree with the comments - hope all is well over there!

Wow - over 5k posts!!!