PDA

View Full Version : Crested Caracara

Alan Murphy
01-16-2010, 06:51 PM
Crested Caracara Sub-Adult on Wild Boar

San Antonio, TX

D300s, 600, f5, 1/400, ISO 400. Baited :-)

In this frame with the wing spread, the head was a little soft, so I replaced it with the sharper head from the next frame.

Tip: When working raptors from a blind, have two people enter the blind with you and then leave. Birds can't count so they think you have left.

Joel DeYoung
01-16-2010, 07:17 PM
Interesting image Alan, I like the how you caught the wings fanned out and the overall composition. Not so sure about the head swap, I think it needs just a tad bit more work around the edges. :-)

Thanks for the tip, maybe one day the birds will learn how to count, then we'll all be in trouble. :-)

Harold Davis
01-16-2010, 07:17 PM
geez, murph. that's taking baiting to a new level!!! love the pose you got from the caracara. one beautiful bird!!

Harshad Barve
01-16-2010, 07:44 PM
Excellent image Alan
TFS

Tip: When working raptors from a blind, have two people enter the blind with you and then leave. Birds can't count so they think you have left.

TFS this trick :)

Phil Ertel
01-16-2010, 07:47 PM
Hi Alan, I love the view of the wing spread as it really shows the details nicely. Good job with the replacing the head; works well. What really makes the image for me is capturing the bird on the boar. A nice display of behavior. Thanks for sharing.

Alfred Forns
01-16-2010, 08:09 PM
Hi Murph That is one bird with with an attitude !! I like the pose and look, maybe just a little more room for the wing? PS work with the swap is good, mighty fine image ... different and works well !!!

Ilija Dukovski
01-16-2010, 10:31 PM
I love it. The pose and look on that bird are mighty. In this image the dirty bill is just right.
Just curious, what do you think are the chances that you can publish an image lake this (in a magazine etc.)?

Mack Hicks
01-17-2010, 12:34 AM
I really love seeing the dead hog. Need to see a lot more of them. Mean looking bird, too, in more ways than one.

Loukie Viljoen
01-17-2010, 12:58 AM
We found in S Africa, you had to go 2 to the hide, the one returning held a long raincoat hanging down to give the impression of 2 figures, they have started counting, nice photo

Gary Jones
01-17-2010, 01:25 AM
A powerful image with the pose of the bird looking down at the boar with wings spread. Good PP work on the head. I like it.

Duane Noblick
01-17-2010, 06:19 AM
If you didn't mention the head sawp I would have never noticed. I like the flared out wings and the head angle. The Boar adds a lot to this image...graphic but yet necessary.

Alan Murphy
01-17-2010, 07:03 AM
I love it. The pose and look on that bird are mighty. In this image the dirty bill is just right.
Just curious, what do you think are the chances that you can publish an image lake this (in a magazine etc.)?

Good question Ilija, I'm guessing that most commercial magazines would stay away from printing this image due to the graphic content.

Joe Senzatimore
01-17-2010, 07:55 AM
Outstanding image Alan. The outstreched wings put it over the top. Nice PS work as well.

Krijn Trimbos
01-17-2010, 02:21 PM
Hi alan,

I love the scene here and the cool pose of the bird.
And from a technical point of view I think you did a terrific job with the headswap!

But even though it looks flawless IMHO the DOF looks off now, the head of the boar and caracara, while in the same plane of focus, are not both in focus now. Also the head of the Caracara and the back of the boar + spine aren't in the same plane of focus but are both in focus now. Maybe quickmasking a boar head from another shot into this one and selectively blurring the back and spine would make it work better.

Respectfully,

Krijn

Alan Murphy
01-17-2010, 02:58 PM
Hi alan,

I love the scene here and the cool pose of the bird.
And from a technical point of view I think you did a terrific job with the headswap!

But even though it looks flawless IMHO the DOF looks off now, the head of the boar and caracara, while in the same plane of focus, are not both in focus now. Also the head of the Caracara and the back of the boar + spine aren't in the same plane of focus but are both in focus now. Maybe quickmasking a boar head from another shot into this one and selectively blurring the back and spine would make it work better.

Respectfully,

Krijn

Krijn, I totaly agree with you, so I went and masked over a sharper boar and it looks great. Thanks.

LouBuonomo
01-17-2010, 03:06 PM
Cool !! I like the "scene" caught

Lou ""

Kiran Poonacha
01-18-2010, 08:39 AM
Great image Bhai, lovely layer technic too.. loved the pose and HA, the dead perch adds just too well here...