PDA

View Full Version : Antalya TURKEY in March, suggestions???

Katherine Enns
01-16-2010, 03:22 PM
I have to go to Turkey in March, and Bruce is coming with. Any suggestions for photography ops around Antalya and coastal sites, and are there any bird photogs there will to share places with Bruce will I am trapped in a conference? We found a bit on the net, certainly tons of subjects that I love to photograph, but we are wondering about birds. ....Suggestions, people places we might want to check out?

And is this even the place to post this question? Mods please advise!?

Kat Enns:)

Alfred Forns
01-17-2010, 05:28 PM
Hi Kat

Don't know much about birds there, just did the tourist stuff. The city looks sort of new and there are lots of beaches and pretty sights. Would look into excursions depending on how long you have !! Neat place and love the food ... don't forget to have some apple tea !!!

Katherine Enns
01-17-2010, 08:13 PM
Thanks Al, I think we can bog around a bit in a rented car, but I am uncertain about traveling alone there, by myself that is. Also we dont find much on the net, on birds. Apple tea, eh? Hmmm. Thanks again.

halituzun
01-18-2010, 02:41 AM
Hello Katherine
I registered www.birdphotographers .net merely 20 minutes ago and I saw your post about Antalya.
I am an ENT Surgeon living in Ankara. Bird photography is my primary hobby. You can enjoy my portfolio at http://www.fotokritik.com/kullanici/khu/portfolyo/ unfortunately only as thumbnails unless you are a member.
Any way , I try to reach friends in Antalya and hopefully gather some info about bird photography chances in the city and around. Other than bird photography , the place is excellent for nature and history photography.
I'll inform you as soon as possible.
Sincerely...
Halit

Alfred Forns
01-18-2010, 10:29 AM
Hi Kat I found Turkey pleasant and easy to get around, on of the few countries I would not mind running around on my own. You could rent a guide? I had a sensory overload at every stop !!

Thanks for the info Halit, much appreciated !!!

halituzun
01-19-2010, 12:16 PM
Hi Katherine
Hi Alfred

I gathered some info about birding places in and around Antalya as well as my own experience. Hopefully will be useful for you.
First it depends on where you are going to stay. There are excellent hotels like Shereton in downtown area. But the main holiday resorts by the sea are out of the town both on east and west coastel area. The area to the east of Antalya is BELEK. Belek area is a dense pine forest and there are several resorts there.The area is worldwide famous for golf courses and mid-winter traing camps for soccer teams from Europa and Asia. The nature and trees are verywell preserved. In april 2009 during our Academy Meeting at GLORIA SERENITY Resort I was lucky to photograph 11 species in almost two hours early in the morning in the resort garden (Yellow Wagtail, White Wagtail, Goldfinch, Greenfinch, Blackbird, Great Tit, Jackdaw, Hoopoe, Dove, Pigeon and House Sparrow. Also observed some sea birds at the beach). The BELEK area is also very suitable for congresses and meetings national or international.
There is also a place called TITREYEN GOL (Shaking Lake in English) to the east of Antalya near the world famous ancient place named SIDE which is a must-see place .
In the town area, between the airport and city center there is a place named KUNDU after the river . The 'YAMANSIZ KUS CENNETI' (Yamansiz Bird Paradise in English) is around that area. The banks of the river is weedy and probably suitable for bird nesting, even the place is in inhabitant area.
Finally to the west of Antalya there is a place named DEMRE. The place is famous as the home town of St. Nicholas as the legend says. There is also a bird paradise around the area but I don't know the exact place. You can watch a video clip of that area in the following link http://video.turk.net/video/izle/36129/Noel-Baba-Kus-Cenneti-ne-yeni-konuklar---ANTALYA/Sayfa/1/
You can locate the places easily on Google Earth.
Sincerely
Halit

Alfred Forns
01-19-2010, 05:04 PM
Thanks for the info ... I'm sure I'll be back again !!!

Katherine Enns
01-19-2010, 06:22 PM
Thank you SO much for this very informative response, Halit! We are very excited to be going there!!! The conference is a pollution one, IUFRO, and its at the Grand Haber Hotel, near Antalya but not in it, its on the ocean, that is all I know. And that I am presenting in the conference and that is all I know at present.

Thanks so much and if you have any advice please do not hestitate to contact either myself or Bruce Enns.

Kat Enns

arash_hazeghi
01-20-2010, 02:01 AM
Hi Kat

Don't know much about birds there, just did the tourist stuff. The city looks sort of new and there are lots of beaches and pretty sights. Would look into excursions depending on how long you have !! Neat place and love the food ... don't forget to have some apple tea !!!

Al apple tea is my favorite too, next time I go I will buy a ton!!!!!!!

halituzun
01-20-2010, 05:29 AM
Hello
Grand Haber Hotel is in KEMER, a nice village located to the west of Antalya. The coastal area is narrow along the area and there are nice mountains.
So DEMRE seems to be the only birding alternative. Other than DEMRE there are 3 places to visit around KEMER. Mountain Olympus (TAHTALI DAGI) , Olympus coastal area and ancient city and PHASELIS ancient harbour.
I hope you have a nice stay in Turkey.
Halit

Katherine Enns
01-20-2010, 11:38 AM
Thank you Arash and Halit. Please excuse the ignorance of my question, but is it possible and considered safe for two middle aged Canadians who dont speak Turkish to be renting a car to drive all over the Antalya roads and back roads for 150 km in any given direction taking photographs of plants, birds and scenery.

I am in awe of the thought of actually seeing Mount Olympus.

kat enns

halituzun
01-21-2010, 03:08 AM
The places I recomended are all famous and easy to reach excluding DEMRE birding area which I have not been yet. PHASELIS and OLYMPUS Coastal Anjient place are open areas and you can easily reach . OLYPUS MOUNTAIN is reachable by cable and you need tickets which are sold at the base station . English is widely spoken as the the place is a famous torist attraction area. For DEMRE birding area I would recommend a guide. General sightseeing and photography is safe but for people photography it is best to ask for permission first. At the hotel you can easily be informed about your sightseeing programme.
Best regards
Halit