PDA

View Full Version : Burrowing Owl

Gavin Spooner
02-19-2008, 10:09 PM
Burrowing Owl, Cape Coral, Fl. Sat Feb 16th.

This is from a series without much difference between each image.
Self critique: Why I chose this, even though the owl is not looking directly at me and is looking out of the frame. Basically I got a Catchlight in both eyes, and it was raising its foot and its claws were visible. Was shot portrait but better framed landscape. Light is nice, bg bokeh nice, but the low shooting position makes the grass a little distracting.

Now your turn.

Nikon D2H, 300mmm f4 afs +1.4 tc. 1/640s. f5.6 iso 320

http://www.pbase.com/wembley/image/93154719/original.jpg

Maxis Gamez
02-19-2008, 10:24 PM
Hello and welcome to BPN.

Love the composition and low angle. The white spot is really taking away from your main subject. There is also a dark spot in the BG that is distracting. The image is very sharp and you did well with the exposure.

David Steele
02-20-2008, 12:08 AM
Hi Wembley. Maxis has it spot on but I would add that I would like a little more base to the image. Having said that I really love this photo and those eyes are stunning.

Krijn Trimbos
02-20-2008, 04:20 AM
Agree with the previous suggestions about the white and black blob. I love the light, and headturn and surrounding grasses in this shot. I noticed that you clipped part of the birds left legg if you have it I would give it a bit more room at the bottom to remedy that. Terrific shot otherwise.

Del Cockroft
02-20-2008, 06:40 AM
A beautiful shot. Excellent detail and sharpness. It has a nice warm glow.

Axel Hildebrandt
02-20-2008, 09:21 PM
Welcome to BPN! I like the warm light and raised foot. Adding to the other comments, I wish for better eye contact. Keep them coming!

Gavin Spooner
02-22-2008, 09:46 AM
thanks all for the critiques.

Yes i do have the other foot (too quick a crop to notice), so can bring the foot back. Agree about wanting the eyes looking at me, but realised from reading (and the other images in this series) that when they are looking direct at you the 2nd catchlight is very hard to get. I only have capture 4.4.2 so cant clone out the distracting white and black, but again agree its probably needed.