PDA

View Full Version : Fly 2

Joe Brown
01-16-2010, 12:45 AM
Not much to shoot around here so I've been playing with the flies some more. Again I have enticed the fly to stay on the leaf with some honey.
5D Mk II
MP-e 65mm
f8.0
1/200
ISO 400
580EX II and 430 EX both with homemade diffusers.
Crop is about 65% of original, a little S/H, increase exposure some and had to clone out dust on my sensor.
The automatic sensor cleaner on the 5D MkII doesn't appear to be effective on the small particals.
At these extremely small apertures even very small dust particals show-up.
Used two flashes in a master/slave set=up
Less magnification than the last shot therefore a little more dof.

http://www.joebrownphotography.net/images/fly2.jpg

C&C welcome

Joe

Morkel Erasmus
01-16-2010, 05:26 AM
this is very nice Joe. great detail and DOF. can the eyes benefit from a little more sharpening?

Anita Bower
01-17-2010, 07:10 AM
I like the wavy lines created by the honey. The dof works for me--the focus in on the head with the rear part blurring in an interesting manner. You might want to clean up the eyes a bit with cloning, and darken some of the very bright areas. Nice job.

Julie Kenward
01-17-2010, 09:09 PM
Another nice macro, Joe! Agree with the other comments - especially toning down the whiter areas below the fly. I really like the angle better on this one - love that face! I especially like that he's on a diagonal plane and the focus seems to be right where it needs to be. I also ditto sharpening and cleaning up the eyes a bit (if that's possible.)

Vida van der Walt
01-18-2010, 02:34 AM
Hi Joe. Another fine shot. Love that tongue. I am slightly puzzled as imo you should be getting more detail out of the lens esp at f8? Do you sharpen after resizing your image?:)

Arthur Morris
01-20-2010, 06:15 PM
I guess that the old saying is true.... Love the eyes. Cleaning them up with the Patch Tool would be a snap. The white stuff right under the fly is quite distracting...