PDA

View Full Version : Giving Back

Grant Eldridge
01-15-2010, 12:00 PM
I'd like to put forth a thought/challenge to all the photographers here. I don't know your experience but I suspect it is very similar to mine. I've taken many an image and then noticed in post processing some piece of garbage sitting in the background. I find it incredibly sad how inconsiderate and dirty the human race is in general. So here is my challenge, carry a small bag with you when you go out shooting and pickup a few pieces of garbage. It’s a small gesture but an important one I think. Our world gives us so many great images I think we can all give something back.

And it will save on post processing time as well ;)

Grant Eldridge
www.glimpsinglight.com (http://www.glimpsinglight.com)

Axel Hildebrandt
01-15-2010, 12:04 PM
I would add that collecting fishing lines can help prevent birds getting entangled and lose limbs or even perish. At Long Island there was the sad case of a young oystercatcher that even rehab couldn't save this past summer.

Tom Walters
01-15-2010, 12:11 PM
Ive been out on countless occasions and seen fishing line just left everywhere. I used to go fishing as it gave me a reason to go into the outdoors and sit but I was always very careful with line and everything I took came back with me. Dont understand why others cant do the same.

I also hate it when people litter, unfortunately I see it all the time. Im not a confrontational guy however so end up picking it up myself. Good idea with the bag though, you can help me out. :D

Dave Leroy
01-15-2010, 03:52 PM
Good idea Grant. Around here there are always bits and pieces of rope or styrofoam washed up from both commercial and recreational crabbers. I often have a big garbage bag along just in case it starts to rain, so it is pretty easy to stuff things in.
Dave

Alfred Forns
01-15-2010, 06:29 PM
It is a good idea and every little bit will help !!!

Jamie Strickland
01-15-2010, 07:40 PM
people like that drive me nuts, I hate even seeing people driving on the road and throwing out their butts, if your going to smoke the least thing you can do is put it in the garbage

I have to say that the parks, nature areas that I goto around here are very clean, probably because they have low traffic and fewer young people

Anita Rakestraw
01-16-2010, 12:50 AM
A great idea, Grant, thanks for suggesting it; I'm going to do it!! I have been saddened and appalled at the trash I see when I'm out at the lake; expected that nature-loving people would be much more thoughtful about littering up the environment; but I guess not.....

Phil Ertel
01-17-2010, 07:58 AM
Grant, I applaud you for giving light to this idea/practice. I have been doing this for years. Both my father and Boy Scouts taught me to always try a leave where you have been better than after you leave. The easiest way to to this is to pick up some trash. The real challenge is not becoming frustrated or overwhelmed. Sadly the task is daunting. Every little bit helps and perhaps someone will join in after seeing us pick up some trash.

Julie Kenward
01-17-2010, 08:28 AM
The parks in my suburban area are littered with leftovers from fishermen - they leave everything from fishing line to empty liver containers to beer cans. It absolutely kills me that they do this in front of all their children - causing yet another generation to not understand what littering in parks does to those creatures who live there. I'll definitely be carrying a bag!