PDA

View Full Version : Crack in camera body after getting it back from Canon !!!

Jan Wegener
02-19-2008, 09:13 PM
Hi
After days of waiting I got my lens and camery body back again from Canon...
It was packed save in a backpack and everything was wrapped in bubble wrap.
I opened the package took everything out and then I saw this big crack !!

I don't believe this happened during the shipping, because the box looks quite okay and everything was well packed.
I instantly phoned the Canon Service (at 11 am) and the lady on the phone told she will pass my claim on and will get back to me.....
Well, at 1 pm I phoned again and she said her supervisor didn't react yet !!!
I asked for his number or any other number of a person with more responsibility but she said she is not allowed to give those out !!!
But she assured me to get back to me !!!
Well, she didn't call !!!!!!!! Now it's 6 pm and they are not working anymore !!!

Does anyone of you have an e-mail address or a telephone number of a "higher-level" guy in Canon Canada ?
Or any other idea ?

I am really pissed off, not only that they broke the camera, they also didn't even find it neccessary to call me back !

How does this crack look to you guys, is this just a repair thing or is the whole body damaged ?
It looks like it fell really bad. The paint is damaged and the crack is in very stiff material !
I had to write this, otherwise, I will explode here....

Bonnie Block
02-19-2008, 10:00 PM
Man--sorry Jan--I would be flippin' mad too---I cannot do more than commiserate with you--no info on the higher ups, but I am sure someone can help.
This is a costly fix to replace the top of the body--so stay on them---shame on them for trying to pass this off.
Good luck --I hope it is resolved for you soon.

Maxis Gamez
02-19-2008, 10:15 PM
Wow!

I hope everything works out for you.

Axel Hildebrandt
02-20-2008, 12:20 AM
Hard to believe they dared to send it back this way. My guess is it has to fall several feet to crack like this. I would be mad, too. Another round of 'great' Canon service and no camera for who knows how long.

Ken Kovak
02-20-2008, 08:48 AM
Jan,

Make sure it is your body, check the serial number. They may have made an inadvertant switch!

Ken

Alfred Forns
02-20-2008, 09:12 AM
Jan I'm sure they will take care of the problem Those cameras are very sturdy and probably did not make a difference but would like to have it replaced if it was mine Will always have that annoying feeling !!! Please let us know !!!

Jan Wegener
02-20-2008, 11:39 AM
still didn't get a call !

Yes, it's my body....

Yes, a replacement would be better, who knows what is also damaged in there ???

I just try to figure out the name of the president of Canon Canada....does any one of you guys know it ?
Especially the e-mail address ?

Pete Woods
02-20-2008, 12:11 PM
still didn't get a call !

Yes, it's my body....

Yes, a replacement would be better, who knows what is also damaged in there ???

I just try to figure out the name of the president of Canon Canada....does any one of you guys know it ?
Especially the e-mail address ?

Mr. Tamotsu "Ted" Nakamura
President and CEO
Canon Canada

Woops looks like he is no longer in that role and has moved to Canon USA

Jan Wegener
02-20-2008, 01:03 PM
yes that's the problem I also have ;)
No idea who the new one is

Robert Amoruso
02-20-2008, 06:30 PM
Are you sure you got the right camera back? Did you check the serial number?

LeeOtsubo
02-20-2008, 08:13 PM
yes that's the problem I also have ;)
No idea who the new one is
It's probable a new President hasn't yet been appointed. Why not contact Ian Macfarlane, VP and GM, Consumer Imaging Group? As GM, he holds P&L for the photography segment. Also, in these situations, it's often better to send a letter via registered snail mail. Add to the bottom a CC with your dog's name followed by "Esq".

When I had a hassle with KitchenAid, we wrote to every executive at KitchenAid and Whirlpool. We got a phone call from the Executive Assistant to the President & CEO and, suddenly, everything was, "No problem!"

Gyorgy Szimuly
02-21-2008, 05:25 AM
Jan, just try to play with e-mail addresses. Normally they use this form: Tamotsu.Nakamura@canon.com or Nakamura.Tamotsu@canon.com
No matter if he moved to the US. If the mail address is valid he will help for sure.

Szimi

Bob Ferry
02-26-2008, 08:12 PM
Jan,
Wow that really sucks!!!. I know it can be very frustrating dealing with Customer Service. Seriously i think they outta rename it something else. I recently had a billing issue with Sprint PCS. Took me 8 months, yes 8 months to have it corrected. This surprised me because from day 1 of contacting them they said that I was right and the appropriate credits would be given. Month after Month went by and it was still wrong. Finally, I got so frustrated dealing with numerous "low level" employees I researched the company on Yahoo finance and got a address for the top officers. I said I was carbon copying the letter to The news and the Attorney Generals office for the state of Florida. Within a day I received a call from a woman representing the board of directors. problem was solved in minutes. make sure you keep a record of all names, dates, times etc. it helps if the issue drags on and keeps the incidence fresh in your head.
On a negative note I can hear it now. " We didnt do it". Thats when you wish you had insured your cameras especially expensive ones. Good luck

Bob

Jan Wegener
02-27-2008, 04:33 PM
HI

Yes, if you contact the right people everything is done in a heartbeat ! Talking to the "high level" people speeds things up dramatically.

I sent my camera in yesterday at 6 pm. It arrived there this mroning. Now it's already on the way back.....stayed only 4 hours at Canon. That's fast....

I just wonder why those normal customer service people can't do it like that ? Unwilling, unable ?