PDA

View Full Version : Wild dog

Steve Kaluski
01-15-2010, 05:51 AM
Not the worlds greatest image and wish that I had taken it with the knowledge I now have.:)

Taken about 16 months ago in Lebala in the Kwando reserve, Botswana. Wild dogs are/can be very difficult to find, like most wildlife (and are in decline), however it was great to see them, albeit fleeting. This was the morning after the pack had despatched a kill the previous night so they were '(fat, sleepy, dogs, FSD's)'. I thought bears smelt bad, I thought the dead whale carcass was the tops, but these guys were in a class of their own!

Steve
MKIII 500f/4 1/320 f/5.6 ISO400 (hand held)

Harshad Barve
01-15-2010, 06:16 AM
Excellent image Steve , lovely compo ,nice details and complementing BG
TFS

Alfred Forns
01-15-2010, 08:24 PM
.. glad we don't have smell to go with the images :) Must be a real stinker !!!

Image still looks great Steve, razor sharp, well proportioned and appealing .. like the attentive look most of all !!!

Todd Frost
01-16-2010, 01:02 AM
Nice portrait and very sharp. Well done on a dificult subject. TFS
Todd

Morkel Erasmus
01-16-2010, 04:35 AM
I'd be very happy with this one Steve. great portrait. I like the BG as well - and might try to lift the levels on the dog and tone down the BG some more, just slightly

Ken Watkins
01-16-2010, 05:27 AM
Steve,

I did not know you had been to Lebala, hope you had a good guide.
Best Wild Dog viewing in Africa, nearly always a siughting nowadays, although I must confess our first sighting in Lagoon was on our 22nd game drive, nowadays you can hardly avoid them.
Nice shot.

Steve Kaluski
01-16-2010, 06:59 AM
Thanks Morkel, but am happy with the overall balance, toning the BG down a tad just looks flat, guess this is where that old issue of how people view the image irrespective of calabration.;)

Hi Ken (wondered where you were?)

Hummmmm Lebala, well I was a little disappointed there sadly. The transfer from strip to camp was over 2hrs as the original strip had runway problems. Huge potholes!!! The driver was OC and the tracker was Julius. Very impressed with Julius and his skills as a tracker, but OC needed a bit of steering on his angles of approach to get the shots:)

Within 45 min of landing we found a pack of 10, then two days on we found this pack, but were all fed & watered so no real action:( The Buffalo had moved on and there was a lot of driving for little reward. Probably needed more that four days there, but other locations were calling.

cheers
Steve

Stu Bowie
01-16-2010, 10:29 AM
Steve, good sharp detail, and a lovely profile shot. I agree with Morkel toning down the BG will work.

Ken Watkins
01-16-2010, 11:03 AM
Hi Ken (wondered where you were?)

cheers
Steve

I am in Norwich working, just catching up today!

Cheers

Ken

Steve Kaluski
01-16-2010, 11:04 AM
Well I am always open to suggestion. Probably didn't need the extra tad of USM:)

WDYT now guys?

Steve

Ken Watkins
01-19-2010, 11:59 AM
Steve,

That's a lot better!!