5D MK II
70-200 2.8L IS
f/16
1/15 sec
ISO-100
148 mm
RAW / PP Photoshop

December 7, 2009

It snowed all day in the valley...I arrived at 7:00 am and worked different locations trying to capture the mood...

That is the now famous Elm Tree off center right!

This image was made at 3:05 pm as the snow stopped and the clouds lifted to briefly reveal Cooks Meadow in almost Black and White.

All Comments and critiques welcome !

Thank you

Jerry

Dave Mills
01-15-2010, 01:58 PM
Hi Jerry, Nice conversion along with an interesting composition. I like the way the image is presented or could be cropped to about an inch above the main white tree. Another idea but well handled...

Nick Palmieri
01-15-2010, 05:53 PM
Nice capture. I am thinking the the snow at the bottom is a bit blown out. I think this would also look nice with a pano crop, if you cut out the bottom just below the white trees and the top just above the evergreen trees I think you would have maintained the mood and still have a strong image.

Robert Amoruso
01-15-2010, 06:56 PM
Good comments above Jerry. Image looks soft to me - more sharpening needed?

Julie Kenward
01-15-2010, 09:21 PM
I'd definitely adjust the snow in the FG - it really does pull your eye. I'd also think about a slight crop from the right - take out that partial tree on the right hand side.

Gerald_Gilligan
01-16-2010, 02:43 AM
Thank you all for the constructive comments...
I have re-posted with all critiques taken into consideration.
I do not usually sharpen the jpeg from the tiff file before upload and now see that I need to pay attention to this going forward...the crop suggestions are meaningful and I have adjusted as directed... In my original I wanted to bring out the "whiteness" of the snow and the result was a little to bright...Here is the new version.

Jerry

Roman Kurywczak
01-17-2010, 11:51 AM
Hey Jerry,
Interesting comments and observations above. While I agree that a pano would also work....something Jules said about toning down the FG snow intrigued me....so I went to work on it. I toned down the FG snow using highlight from S/H on the entire FG and then a layer of B/C....just on the front patch of snow....toning it down further. Then I thought about the depth in the image.....I did a few levels layers on the trees and my final tweaks were using the dodge burn tool on them. Too far???....perhaps but this will give you another option to try on the wonderfully composed image with tons of mood and feel Let me know your thoughts.
Had to save it at 56 to get it to fit.

Roman Kurywczak
01-17-2010, 11:52 AM
PS Made the RH side a little muddy.....so be careful there.

Gerald_Gilligan
01-20-2010, 03:44 PM
Hey Roman,
I agree with the snow, my curve adjustment was a bit to high, I need to find the balance between white snow and bright or blown out snow...I also like the tweaks to the tree's to increase some contrast and depth...
Thank you for taking the time.

Jerry