PDA

View Full Version : Point of no return

Callie de Wet
01-15-2010, 12:13 AM
Southern Pale Chanting Goshawk, Melierax canorus ~ this is a sub adult, changing from a brownish plumage to the silver gray-blue of the adult. It is about 13 months old, They are more handsome in this plumage than as adult or juvie. Kgalagadi TFP, south of Nossob.
D300; 200-400 f4 hand held; ISO 800, F7.1;1/4000; AP; Matrix; -0,03 EV; 08h48 AM
Tried Morkel's method of selecting the BG abd did NR, then sharpened bird. Minor tuning to image.

Randy Stout
01-15-2010, 08:09 AM
Callie:

Very attractive bird, love those legs. The wing being up for take off is great, in a perfect world, wish you had been a bit more to the right so that the head wasn't partially blocked by the wing.

In regard to post processing, I see a faint halo around the tree, esp. near the left side. There is also some sky blurring onto the lower branch, esp. at the end.

Good timing here.

Cheers

Randy

david cramer
01-15-2010, 08:41 AM
Excellent catch, Callie. Agree with Randy about the post processing. You might also bring down the contrast caused by the hard light.

Axel Hildebrandt
01-15-2010, 09:25 AM
I like the takeoff pose and serious look and it would have been even stronger if the angle were less steep and you would have been further to your right. The bird looks a bit soft on my monitor.

Callie de Wet
01-17-2010, 03:12 PM
Thanks guys, have a lot to learn on PP work. Next time, I will ask him not to hide his head:D