PDA

View Full Version : Northern Flicker

Wheeler McDougal Jr.
01-14-2010, 04:45 PM
I was able to get this image of this Northern Flicker last October at our bird feeder in our side yard. I like it and especially like the BG. I am only sorry that it wasn't perched on a tree limb insead of a iron rod, but you get them where you can. What do you think of it. It's interesting that I learn so much from the viewers and I look forward hearing about something that I have completely missed. Thanks for any help you can give me. Shooting information follows:
Nikon D3
400mm
400mm (in 35mm film)
1/400 sec, f/4
Mode: Av
Metering: Spot
ISO: 1600
White balance: Auto
Flash: Off
File size: 18.3MB
Image size: 1310 x 1821
Saturation: Normal
Sharpness: Normal
Contrast: Normal
Color profile: sRGB

Sarah Jessup
01-14-2010, 04:57 PM
Wheeler,
The flicker is sharp, and I like the eye and the background. Given the limitations you noted about the metal perch, I'd still prefer the photo without the metal bird. On my monitor, there's a bit of a blue cast.

Wheeler McDougal Jr.
01-14-2010, 05:14 PM
Sarah-
Thanks for your thoughts. I tried color correction in PS and the result is the repost. Do you think it is better?
Mac

Ed Schneider
01-14-2010, 05:34 PM
Nice sharp bird, Mac, and the color correction looks better. I would still clone out the "metal" bird, and use some NR on the BG:)

Wheeler McDougal Jr.
01-14-2010, 05:57 PM
Ed- No doubt your dislike of the metal bird I agree with. On this repost I have removed it and run the BG through Noise Ninja, the result is excellent. Thanks for your thoughts. Sorry I missed the little bit of the metal bird on the left after I reposted it.
Mac

Ted Willcox
01-14-2010, 05:59 PM
Hi Wheeler,to make this image a way more interesting,you would have to clone out the metal bird and add canvas to the right side and crop off from the left side. That way you would have the Flicker on the left looking into the frame instead of looking out, as he is now. That would make it more balanced and much more interesting to look at. You have done well in photographing the Flicker, it is sharp and well posed.

Ted

Mark Adkins
01-14-2010, 08:29 PM
I agree that the noise reduction and cloning are a big improvement. Agree that you need more canvas right. I have the same iron perch!

Ed Schneider
01-14-2010, 09:06 PM
NR looks great! I have to admit I don't know how to add canvas. Does anyone have a link from the archives?

Thanks

Mark Adkins
01-14-2010, 09:21 PM
This technique is on the APTATS-1 CD available from BAA

Wheeler McDougal Jr.
01-14-2010, 09:40 PM
Ok all here is my last try. I hope you all like it. The only thing I can't get rid of is the steel perch.

Mac

Ted Willcox
01-15-2010, 05:32 PM
Way to go Mac. Looks so much better, don't you think?
Ted