PDA

View Full Version : Backlit dragon

Jerry van Dijk
01-14-2010, 04:21 PM
I like the pose of this dragonfly and how the backlight enhances the details along the edge of this dragonfly (taken in Denmark, not sure of the species), but I find the rest of the dragonfly a bit dark. Any suggestions for improvement?

Panasonic DMC-FZ18, handheld, 19 mm (114 mm eq.), ISO-100, F/4.5, 1/125 sec, EC -2.1, pattern metering, aperture priority, RAW.
RAW processing in Silkypix, PP in Corel Photopaint. Minor tweaks on exposure, levels and sharpness. Cloned out part of another grassflower along the lower edge of the frame.

Allen Sparks
01-15-2010, 10:11 AM
Hi Jerry, I really like this image. Very sharp and the back lighting is a neat affect. As far as the dark areas of the dragonfly, if it was mine I would use the Lighten Shadows tool in Photoshop (I have Elements)...I think that would help. I don't know if that can be done in your software though. Nice image.

Ken Childs
01-15-2010, 01:32 PM
I love it the way it is!
IMHO, you don't take a shot of a backlit subject to show off every detail of that subject. It's all about the light that gets through and around that subject.

Joe Brown
01-15-2010, 05:10 PM
I agree with Ken, the back lighting and exposure is quite effective. Well done.

Joe

Anita Bower
01-17-2010, 07:13 AM
The backlighting is lovely here, as are the pose of the dragonfly and the colors. I would personally like to see the head a bit lighter so I can see the details there. The backlight provides enough light for the rest of the dragonfly.

Vida van der Walt
01-18-2010, 02:29 AM
Beautiful image Jerry! Love the fall of light and fine detail. I totally agree with Ken.:)