PDA

View Full Version : Qualified for comments?

Gyorgy Szimuly
01-02-2008, 06:45 PM
I just wonder guys when do you think a photographer is qualified for commenting other's posts? Is the word 'qualified' I used here is the best? Most of the members of such a forum like this visiting the galleries but despite of their clear opinion on a certain image they do not share it with others. Are they just shy or feeling not ready to judge on the images others made.

Fabs are right that one can learn a lot from commenting and from reading others comments. Many of the pros saying that most of the comments are useless as saying nothing than a wow. To be honest I don't know what is the problem with this? I guess wows need for the our ego and could be also motivating to move forward.

Should we always deeply analyze the posts if we just want to express that we are simply influenced by a certain image? So again should we be qualified to comment an image?

Hope you don't get me wrong :) What do you think?

Szimi

Fabs Forns
01-02-2008, 07:02 PM
Szimi,

I think we all have eyes, so that qualifies us see if we like an image or not :)

Not all people know enough about technique or compositional rules to suggest ways to improve, but the reaction or impact we feel when we look at something, is important feedback to the photographer.

There is also a great deal of subjectiveness, as in all forms of art, and your taste and opinion are very personal and it doesn't mean they are right or wrong.

The reason I say it's so important to critique others is because you have no emotional attachments to that particular image, making it easier to evaluate. Looking for flaws in an impersonal way, will train you avoid them when you are behind the viewfinder.

So lets get the ball rolling and hit the board with our critiques, made with the best intention, and nobody should get offended if they don't agree, always remember we are all entitled to our opinion!

Alfred Forns
01-02-2008, 07:11 PM
Szimi

I think everyone should give it a try at commenting Different points of view are good Commenting will increase your learning curve more than anything I can think off

Remember there are no "must" rules Just guidelines .....some stronger than others.

Steve Foss
01-03-2008, 01:19 PM
I'd also like to add that experienced photographers look at images with different eyes than the general consumer/client.

I've had images that have gotten ruthlessly deconstructed in online fora that have sold quite well as prints or greeting cards in galleries and stores.

What I'm trying to say is to some degree what's already been said. If you like looking at images of birds, regardless of your own perceived competence as a photographer, you are qualified to judge that image. It also doesn't have to be an overly technical critique. It's simple enough to say what you do and don't like when you view the image, and why you feel that way.

David Kennedy
01-06-2008, 07:25 PM
Some of the best editors are terrible writers, and vice versa. This is not a maxim, but I use it simply as an anolgy. What qualifies a person to comment on another's expression is simply that they are human.

Although, I will admit I sometimes ask the cat what she thinks of something :)

Meint Sijp
01-06-2008, 08:51 PM
I do feel shy and not ennough experince to what to say and how to writ it. So ot woulden'¨t be misunderstood due to not be the best photographer, or have much noledge of the metering, compensation etc. in this point a feel just like a total newcommer to photography, and do work on how to set it to +/-.
Have made comments though before this site and one or two here. But i try to look and learn from the others and allso there are som many gorgeause pics it's hard for my to write to all and find ways to comment new treats.
But i'll do my best allso because it feels good to heare others opinion on ones photos and learn. And never give any feed back to others they proberly feel like wasting there time on the person.

Mike Poe
01-07-2008, 12:15 AM
Here is a quote from a famous critic ..."In many ways, the work of a critic is easy. We risk very little yet enjoy a position over those who offer up their work and their selves to our judgment. We thrive on negative criticism, which is fun to write and to read. But the bitter truth we critics must face, is that in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is more meaningful than our criticism designating it so. But there are times when a critic truly risks something, and that is in the discovery and defense of the new. The world is often unkind to new talent, new creations, the new needs friends."

A.Ego from the movie Ratatouille ; )

Harold Stiver
01-08-2008, 10:44 AM
Critiquing photographs is an exercise that is very helpful to the critiquer. It helps you sort out your own thoughts on what is good and bad in image making.

I think that even people who are non-photographers can critique images. Even non-cooks know what tastes good.