PDA

View Full Version : Fallen Leaves

Dave Woeller
01-14-2010, 09:54 AM
This is a bit of a different area of photography for me, so I am offering this image up for guidance and suggestions. I came across these leaves while on a walk without a tripod so the shot is handheld. I post processed in lightroom and PS and did a round of unsharp mask. The main leaf is centered, but I felt the surrounding leaves all on a diagonal helped the composition. All thoughts and guidamce are appreciated
Canon 50D, 24-105mm @105mm, AV, 1/180 sec @ F/8, ISO 400

Julie Kenward
01-15-2010, 12:57 PM
dave, I think you did pretty well with this image. One thing I'd offer up is you appear to have your focal point on the middle leaves (as you noted) but then the BG is more in focus than the FG...I think I probably would prefer it the other way around with more DOF up front instead of behind.

Nice mix of color and textures and I don't even mind the dead grass as a BG in this case because it seems to add to the "disarray" feeling of the image. ;)

Dave Woeller
01-15-2010, 01:34 PM
Julie, After reading your comments and then studying the shot, I see exactly what your point is and agree. This constructive critique is just what I was looking for and have become accustomed to here on BPN. I really appreciate the feedback and know it will help me improve. Thanks again....Dave

Stuart Frohm
01-16-2010, 07:05 AM
You might consider cropping so as to make the bottom of the photo a point slightly below the lowermost reddish leaf's tip.
Respectfully,
Stu

Dave Woeller
01-16-2010, 09:21 AM
Thanks Stuart, I'll certainly take a look at that and see how it looks. Appreciate the thoughts.....Dave

Anita Bower
01-16-2010, 03:53 PM
I like how you framed the red leaves with other leaves. I don't have anything to add to the comments above. I hope you post more images here.

Mike Moats
01-16-2010, 09:01 PM
Hey David, nice contrast, like the positioning of the red leaves.

Vida van der Walt
01-18-2010, 01:59 AM
Hi David. Nice shot. I like the colours and ditto the position of the red leaves. Suggestions covered.:)

Dave Woeller
01-20-2010, 08:42 AM
Thanks to all for the guidance. It is very much appreciated