PDA

View Full Version : Ms. Long-tailed Duck with 1D Mark IV

Axel Hildebrandt
01-14-2010, 09:25 AM
I photographed this female Long-tailed Duck at Barnegat Light earlier this week. It was a great afternoon, the color of the water changed often and it was relatively calm.

http://www.pbase.com/axelhi/image/121013759/original.jpg

1D4, 500f4, 1.4x, 1/1000s, f/8, EC +0.33, ISO 400

Brad Manchas
01-14-2010, 10:19 AM
Wonderful capture with excellent exposure and detail. I think the framing is a little tight on the bottom and maybe the left. Ideally I would rather see a bit more water under the reflection and viewers left to ease the feeling of a "trapped" bird which I think the head angle is accentuating.

Love those teeth!

Steve Maxson
01-14-2010, 11:11 AM
I would agree with Brad that the bird could use a little more room in the frame. Otherwise, an excellent photo with perfect exposure and outstanding detail and sharpness. I like the little ripples in the water fore and aft of the bird. The background looks very smooth. Did you do any NR there?

Juan Carlos Vindas
01-14-2010, 11:53 AM
Smiling at the camera! that's what this duck seems to be doing! Nice bird, wonderful exposure. I too find it too tight in the frame.

Ryan Schain
01-14-2010, 12:34 PM
Excellent exposure, sharpness, colors, and head angle Axel!

Did you crop out some rocks or something at the bottom, because I agree with all above posters, I feel the crop is too tight and there should be much more water at the bottom :).

Stu Bowie
01-14-2010, 01:37 PM
Typical female - posing for the camera. Love that angled head, together with the couple of drops on top. Good exposure, and overall, I like the detail and sharpness. Does the female not have the long tail, or is it below the water?

Ted Willcox
01-14-2010, 01:48 PM
Great exposure. Tact sharp. Just needs a little more room on the bottom.
Ted

LouBuonomo
01-14-2010, 02:27 PM
Well you can't say you are not producing sharp images with nice detail with the new body ! Whites look great !

lou

Fabs Forns
01-14-2010, 02:27 PM
What precious face! I see you are making good use of the camera. I have not tried Al's camera yet, but he seems to be happy.

Kaustubh Deshpande
01-14-2010, 03:49 PM
Axel....details in whites are awesome. You always seem to nail those. The way the duck is oriented, am sure cropping must have posed a dilemma.

Axel Hildebrandt
01-14-2010, 07:20 PM
Excellent exposure, sharpness, colors, and head angle Axel!

Did you crop out some rocks or something at the bottom, because I agree with all above posters, I feel the crop is too tight and there should be much more water at the bottom :).

Thanks, Ryan! There were no rocks, I just wanted to try a semi-pano crop. :)

Axel Hildebrandt
01-14-2010, 07:20 PM
Typical female - posing for the camera. Love that angled head, together with the couple of drops on top. Good exposure, and overall, I like the detail and sharpness. Does the female not have the long tail, or is it below the water?

Thanks, Stuart! The female long-tailed ducks have a pretty short tail. :)

Paul Lagasi
01-14-2010, 07:28 PM
Axel..beauty...Like the details...the teeth, water drops on head, eye contact, pano crop...Thanks

James Salywoda
01-14-2010, 09:51 PM
She is a beauty Axel I like your composition and the raised head on the duck.

Axel Hildebrandt
01-14-2010, 11:06 PM
I would agree with Brad that the bird could use a little more room in the frame. Otherwise, an excellent photo with perfect exposure and outstanding detail and sharpness. I like the little ripples in the water fore and aft of the bird. The background looks very smooth. Did you do any NR there?

Thanks, Steve! I ran a tiny bit NR on the BG but it looked smooth before that, too.

Willem Verboom
01-16-2010, 05:49 PM
Very nice Picture Axel. I love the details in this bird. Only the whites are a bite too much form me over here.

Willem