PDA

View Full Version : Leaves ?

Mike Moats
01-14-2010, 08:59 AM
I shot these leaves at a botanical garden run by the U of Michigan. Forgot to take a look at the name of the plant (thats why the question mark). I shot this with a shallower depth of field placing the focus on the left leaf with the idea of pulling the eye to the left when viewed. Heading back there this morning for more fun.:)

Fuji S5, Sigma 180, Tripod, Natural light, F8 @ 1sec.

Charles Wesley
01-14-2010, 09:34 AM
Mike,

I like the numerous diagonals, details and the way your S5 captured the greens and pinks. My eyes go to the left image and then to the right leaf and out of the frame. Do like the way you planned this photo.

Wish I was headed with you to U of Michigan's botanical garden. Keep these photos coming...

Jerry van Dijk
01-14-2010, 03:59 PM
Hi Mike, I like your use of the shallow DOF. I think I would like the image better if you had taken the shot in such a way that the other half of the BG leaf was behind the front leaf. In that case you would have a OOF repetition in the BG of the lines in the FG.
Am I making any sense :confused:? With this kind of complex explanation, language becomes a bit of a barrier...:o

Gordon Craig
01-14-2010, 10:07 PM
Hello Mike,

Did they allow you to use a tripod at the U of M botanical gardens? I went there recently and I was not allowed to bring a tripod in. I heard the the botanical gardens on Bell Isle in Detroit allows a tripod. I was thinking of going there.

Mike Moats
01-14-2010, 10:14 PM
Hey Gordon, this is the Matthaei Botanical Gardens, which is run by U of M, and they will let you in with a tripod during the week but not on the week-ends.

Allen Sparks
01-15-2010, 10:25 AM
beautiful shot. Love the in focus foreground leaf with that green diagonal cutting across. Also like the blurry leaf in the background. Very nice composition.

Julie Kenward
01-15-2010, 12:54 PM
My eye INSTANTLY went to the left so great kudos on "planning" the image that way. I might take a bit more off the right side so it's more 2/3 in focus and 1/3 out. Now it feels almost half and half.

Gorgeous colors, Mike!

Don Lacy
01-15-2010, 01:04 PM
Mike, Wonderful lines and detail.

Anita Bower
01-16-2010, 09:11 AM
The above comments say it all. Great lines, colors, composition. I am surprised when I see one of your shallow dof photos. :D I see what Lules means by making it 2/3 to 1/3, but if more were taken off the right, that second diagonal line would be lost. I'd like to see the same image with everything sharp just as a comparision.

Vida van der Walt
01-18-2010, 02:02 AM
Hi Mike. Lovely shot. I actually like it just the way it is. Great lines, colours and texture.:)