PDA

View Full Version : Youg male lions drinking

Dave Barnes
01-14-2010, 07:33 AM
I was lucky to catch these young male lions drinking at this rain puddle early in the morning.
Although early the light becomes harsh very quickly in the summer months in the semi desert of the kalahari.
By late afternoon the puddle had evaporated under the hot sun.
I waited to get both tongues in the water at the same time.

Camera Model Canon EOS-1D Mark III
Lens EF500mm f/4L IS USM
Tv( Shutter Speed ) 1/800
Av( Aperture Value ) 8.0
ISO Speed 640
Exposure Compensation +2/3

Harshad Barve
01-14-2010, 08:15 AM
Excellent image , Lovely eye contact and both tounges makes this better , If I get such chance I will take it in any light , VWD
TFS

Ed Cordes
01-14-2010, 09:47 AM
Very nice intimate image of these guys. I like how you got both tongues in the water. If you had one with both sets of eyes looking up it would be even better!

Steve Kaluski
01-14-2010, 09:48 AM
Hi Dave

A very good image and definitely well caught, excellent POV! I do find it a tad 'bright' with detail IMHO still be brought out. Apologies, hope you don't mind the tinker, curves, brightness, levels I hate to play with other people images. ;)

Steve

David Fletcher
01-14-2010, 03:09 PM
Strong shot Dave. Not sure what the right answer is as I feel Steve's Repost is too contrasty: (not an issue with Steve's work or the brightness with the Op as on comparing the copied file to the posted file, neither are represented accurately here. However, my main thoughts re the shot is the point of focus lies on the latter Lion. for web size showing, some selective sharpening on the foreground lion may help). Haven't done too much as don't want to overkill. (one round of Smart Sharpen, 70%, 0.6 on head only). +14 contrast, and - 4 brightness; (trying to gauge what it'll look like when posted here, :D).

Alfred Forns
01-14-2010, 09:13 PM
Excellent Dave Waiting for the synchronize drinking makes it so much more powerful, I like Steve's re post, light is starting to get harsh and shows it well Big Congrats on this one !!!!

Stu Bowie
01-15-2010, 12:41 AM
Dave, capturing both tongues lapping the water makes this image. Im amazed how harsh the light is there for early morning.

Dave Barnes
01-15-2010, 01:46 AM
Thanks to all for looking and for the valuable advice.
I attach a revised image.
I have taken the comments and proposals from both Steve and dave into account.
I agree steve,s post is a bit too contrasty but has merit and I have done some selective sharpening.
This one needed a lot of compression to get it within the size limit?