PDA

View Full Version : San Diego #2: Still Looking at the Camera

Arthur Morris
01-14-2010, 12:15 AM
The IPT started today and we had a great day. We photographed for five hours in the morning when it was cloudy, then had a killer lunch in LaJolla, and then went right back out with no break. At sunset I sent everyone home without dinner and orders to get to bed!

This image was created with the Canon 800mm/f/4L IS lens, the 1.4X II TC, and the EOS-1D Mark IV. ISO 500. Evaluative metering +1 stop: 1/30 sec. at f/20. Fill flash at -1 2/3 stops. I am pretty sure that I focused on the eye in this one; should have focused about two inches down the bill in front of the eyes... But even then I do not believe that I could have covered the whole bill.

(Note the brain typo that Phil Liew caught: should of course be 800mm f/5.6L.

Don't be shy; all comments welcome.

Ed Schneider
01-14-2010, 12:58 AM
Wonderful abstract composition of this gaudy geezer!!! Amazingly sharp for 1/30th.... cable release?
Have fun on the rest of your IPT, I'll join you one of these days (threat and a promise:))

Ed

Dave Barnes
01-14-2010, 02:40 AM
Very interesting shot Arthur. I somehow prefer your previous post with the bill pointing down, the OOF bill here seems to draw my eye away from the face. (I know in theory it should be the other way round, maybe that my old eyes are used to looking at OOF objects.:o)
I must agree with Ed on the sharpness at 1/30th.
Mk1V seems to be performing well?

Morkel Erasmus
01-14-2010, 03:05 AM
lovely shot Art-man, although I do wish the whole bill was IF, I find it pleasing nonetheless. love the colours and detail here. glad you got your new toy in time :)

Paul Lagasi
01-14-2010, 03:41 AM
Your in a world of your own..its amazing what you see..this is a cool shot..almost like he's smiling at you..the color flow through the image is lovely..TFS

Krijn Trimbos
01-14-2010, 06:14 AM
That is too cool!! Love the straight on stare and symmetricity of the shot! It looks like a muppet. The OOF tip of the bill doesn't bother me. Great shot Artie!

Phil Liew
01-14-2010, 06:21 AM
I would like to buy that EF800mm f/4 IS lens as well. Are you testing a "new" next launch? LOL...

How close were you to this one? I have found from my own experience the closer the subject the DOF is really shallow despite stopping it down.

It appears a bit soft and flat, would a little more contrast bring it out?

david cramer
01-14-2010, 06:43 AM
Feels like I could reach out and touch that bill. Nice use of fill and considering the length you shot, the 1/30 of a second is amazing. I'm not sure of the Mk IV crop factor, but isn't this combo around 1500mm? I'm loving the patterns and color on this one.

Tom Walters
01-14-2010, 07:17 AM
A little less abstract than the last and a different mood given from the expression of the bird, he seems much happier in this one :) The whole bill in focus might be nice but I do like it OOF though, really get drawn towards the eyes instead.

Arthur Morris
01-14-2010, 07:41 AM
I would like to buy that EF800mm f/4 IS lens as well. Are you testing a "new" next launch? LOL... How close were you to this one? I have found from my own experience the closer the subject the DOF is really shallow despite stopping it down. It appears a bit soft and flat, would a little more contrast bring it out?

Hey Phil. Thanks for catching that brain typo. I was quite tired after the long day yesterday. I hate the thought of carrying an 800 f/4! PS: The contrast looks fine from this end. I believe that I ran a Linear Curve and reduced it out 50% (to my taste).

Axel Hildebrandt
01-14-2010, 08:57 AM
I like the image design, sharpness and soft light. I guess only a shorter lens would have allowed to get the entire bill in focus.

For some reason 'killer lunch' doesn't sound good. :)

Arthur Morris
01-14-2010, 09:04 AM
I like the image design, sharpness and soft light. I guess only a shorter lens would have allowed to get the entire bill in focus. For some reason 'killer lunch' doesn't sound good. :)

Hi Axel. It was a great lunch. :) If I am understanding your comment on d-o-f correctly, then that is a common misconception. If aperture and the size of the subject in the frame are the same, then the d-o-f is the same. The only thing that would differ is the angle of view.

Joe Brown
01-14-2010, 09:06 AM
I like the original composition and pose, great colours and patterns. It is really impressive that your image is this sharp at 1/30 and f20
I also feel it would be better if the whole bird was in focus.
I wonder if you could have stacked images with different focal points to get the whole subject in focus.
I've used Combinez5 successfully in the past to do this sort of thing. http://www.hadleyweb.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/CZ5/combinez5.htm

Joe

Deborah Hanson
01-14-2010, 09:35 AM
At first blush, I didn't think I liked the bill out-of-focus. But the more you look at it - it gives a real 3-dimensional feel to the photo.

Deb

Colin Knight
01-14-2010, 11:12 AM
Great, Arthur. Love the unique look this image has.

Keith Bauer
01-14-2010, 11:51 AM
This one made me laugh out loud. Pretty cool look. Sharp where it needs to be. I agree with the comment about it appearing a bit flat. A bit of contrast would add to this for me.

Stu Bowie
01-14-2010, 12:47 PM
Artie, placing the bird central in the frame was the only way to go, and creating a vertical too. Im amazed at that Fstop you still didnt get the whole bill in focus. Those eyes and the rest of the detail make up for it. Great work.

Ted Willcox
01-14-2010, 02:34 PM
Very comical very sharp. Right down the middle!!
Ted

Axel Hildebrandt
01-15-2010, 01:19 AM
Hi Axel. It was a great lunch. :) If I am understanding your comment on d-o-f correctly, then that is a common misconception. If aperture and the size of the subject in the frame are the same, then the d-o-f is the same. The only thing that would differ is the angle of view.

What I mean is, if you had used a 500mm lens at the same distance and aperture, the bill might have been in focus due to the wider DOF. More cropping would be necessary, though.