1/400
f/13
ISO 100
hand held

Cropped slightly in post.

C&C Welcome

Morkel Erasmus
01-13-2010, 11:40 PM
from the cool tones I'm assuming it's a moon shot?
I like the mood, but wish there was a bit more of the tree included, and also think the silhouette can be sharper.
I would remove the blueish cast around the moon.

Caleb Royer
01-14-2010, 05:11 PM
Morkel,

It's actually the sun (I should have added more info).
I can't get any more of the tree in the photo, I should have gotten a wider shot.
I sharpened the trees and removed the blue from around the sun.

Thanks for your help:)

Anita Rakestraw
01-14-2010, 07:19 PM
Love that sky and the silhouette, just wish the trees were not cut off. :o Whereabouts are you from in Missouri?

Fabs Forns
01-14-2010, 07:31 PM
Lovely sky and silhouette. We need the tree bottom to ground the image.

Caleb Royer
01-14-2010, 07:53 PM
.....Whereabouts are you from in Missouri?
I live in south central Missouri. I have a large forest, field, and Red-tailed Hawks nest in my back yard.

Fabs Forns
01-14-2010, 08:09 PM
Do you have guests rooms???? :)

Robert Amoruso
01-14-2010, 08:55 PM
Caleb,

The large tree on the right is perfect subject for a silhouette due to its interesting shape. I am not too keen on silhouetted lumps like the trees on the right. The sky is perfect to.

Given those are the most graphic elements in the scene and if it was possible, the best composition here would have been right at the base of the tree, looking up with the biggest wide-angle you have.

Including as much of the base as needed to provide a solid grounding to the image.

Dave Mills
01-15-2010, 09:14 AM
Hi Caleb, Agree with Robert regarding having the large tree filling the composition excluding the others. I like the sky very much and feel the image would also work great as a B/W seeing it's almost there already..

Roman Kurywczak
01-17-2010, 10:51 AM
Hey Caleb,
Can't add much to the great advice above so pondered the presented image more keeping all the above comments in mind which mirrored many of my own......I cropped the bottom....straight across the top of the LH treetops......makes the RH tree look like a bush.....but IMO salvages the image.....toned down the brightest area with a bit of highlight recovery then patched in a few of the brightest areas. I also did several brightness/contrast layers at different strengths all around just to bring up the cloud drama even more. finally I converted to B&W......just discarded color info....and voila! Let me know what you think.
PS Forgot to sharpen it......so reposted