PDA

View Full Version : West Florida (Sanibel, Venice Rookery, etc.)

Filemon Lopez
02-19-2008, 07:24 PM
Can anyone let me know how the activity is in West Florida? I am thinking about going there this weekend. Thanks

Alfred Forns
02-19-2008, 08:46 PM
Hi Filemon !!!! Activity should be fine This is our best time

At Venice there are not that many birds but the nests are in great position Also the grass up front has been cut for the most part Worth a visit
Ding has been up/down but better than the past few years

My favorite place and most productive is Little Estero Lagoon Love the place

Filemon Lopez
02-19-2008, 08:59 PM
Al,
Thanks for the info. Are you and Fabs going to ENP this weekend? What is the activity like now? I was there about two weeks ago and it was a bit slow.

Maxis Gamez
02-19-2008, 10:01 PM
I have to agree with Al. I had a great time today at Venice. Things are active now!

Filemon Lopez
02-20-2008, 05:08 AM
How do you get to Little Estero? Is it better in the morning or the afternoon?

Maxis Gamez
02-20-2008, 06:43 AM
Estero could be morning or afternoon.

Here is the address for the Holiday Inn.

6890 ESTERO BLVD.
FORT MYERS BEACH, FL 33931
UNITED STATES

Ask permission before you park there and just walk south.

Good luck!

Alfred Forns
02-20-2008, 09:54 AM
Filemon the walk in the morning from the HI is just over one mile You need to start at the East end because of the sun You could walk down the beach but it is a longer walk I usually go on the side of the lagoon

There will be a canopy of trees less than a third of the way Keep going You can actually start anywhere Would always check the beach in case you have a low tide !!

Jay R. Seltzer
02-22-2008, 08:48 AM
Can anyone mark this aerial view with the locations you've found best. This is taken from Google Earth and is an aerial view of Fort Myers Beach with a label for the Holiday Inn...I think.

Might be helpful to see location from this vantage.

Thanks,

Jay

Maxis Gamez
02-22-2008, 08:25 PM
Hi Jay,

The map looks good. You never know at Estero, just walk south and stop as you find activity.

Good luck!

Alfred Forns
02-23-2008, 06:16 AM
Jay you will be going along the lagoon First you will get to the tree tunnel Go right through it and you are about one 1/3 or less there Keep walking past the condos and you will get to a seawall (concrete) Take the trail along the seawall for another two hundred yards or so That is it

Actually if you find bird at that seawall you can start there Be careful since that is one of the softest places to cross Place tripod fully extended in front of you set and use for brace Will be fine but can get nasty

Unless there are birds there cross to the beach and see what is going on

Jay R. Seltzer
02-23-2008, 08:01 AM
Thanks guys, I'll check it out in a few weeks when I'm back in SWF.

Shawn Marques
02-27-2008, 09:18 PM
Filemon the walk in the morning from the HI is just over one mile You need to start at the East end because of the sun You could walk down the beach but it is a longer walk I usually go on the side of the lagoon

There will be a canopy of trees less than a third of the way Keep going You can actually start anywhere Would always check the beach in case you have a low tide !!

Hello Alfred. I am also thinking of taking a trip over to the west coast. Would It be better during low tide or high tide in that area? Thanks ~Shawn

Maxis Gamez
02-27-2008, 09:30 PM
Hello Alfred. I am also thinking of taking a trip over to the west coast. Would It be better during low tide or high tide in that area? Thanks ~Shawn

Low tide....

Shawn Marques
02-27-2008, 11:02 PM
Ok, thats what I thought. The "in case you have a low tide" threw me off. Thanks Maxis

Maxis Gamez
02-28-2008, 06:56 AM
No problem.

Alfred Forns
02-28-2008, 10:57 AM
Shawn a low tide is generally better as pointed by Maxis An afternoon super low is not a good thing One of the best images at the lagoon are made using the condo reflections With a very low tide it will be mostly mud so no reflections !!!!

One thing to not is the wind It will have a greater effect than tides A strong east wind in the morning is real bad !!

Shawn Marques
02-28-2008, 08:18 PM
Shawn a low tide is generally better as pointed by Maxis An afternoon super low is not a good thing One of the best images at the lagoon are made using the condo reflections With a very low tide it will be mostly mud so no reflections !!!!

One thing to not is the wind It will have a greater effect than tides A strong east wind in the morning is real bad !!
Thank you Alfred for clarifying the tides for me.~Shawn