PDA

View Full Version : Evening Grosbeak (female)

Gail Spitler
01-13-2010, 08:09 PM
Another yard bird - definitely not a flashy bird. On my last Evening Grosbeak, Alfred wondered where the light came from. The same situation pertains here: we have what is known as valley fog, and the valley is quite narrow. So it is as if we are all inside a light diffusion box - like the ones used for wildflower photography. Thick fog/clouds all around.
Minimum crop, processed in LR2 and PS CS4 - normal tweaking and removed a distracting branch from the bg. I thought about adding canvas to the right, and am interested in your thoughts.

Comments and suggestions are much appreciated.
Thanks for looking
Gail
Canon 7D with 500mm +1.4x, 1/125 sec @ f/7.1, pattern metering, +1/3 EV, ISO 1000

Bill Dix
01-13-2010, 09:41 PM
Gail - I like the soft winter colors; and the pose really highlights his handsome beak. Seems like a slow SS, but I guess you didn't have much light to work with. I would vote for a bit more room on the right, and perhaps a tad on top if you're worried about the proportions. Nice image!

Lance Peters
01-14-2010, 02:11 AM
Hi Gail - looks a tad soft on my screen - could be the SS - a little slow for nearly 700mm, doable but your long lens technique has to be spot on. Think you would be able to push the 7D a little further than 1000 ISO - Jeff might be able to confirm that?
Id try and selectively sharpen the bird some more - and the eye, a sharp eye will make the whole image appear sharper.
I selectively sharpened the bird in Genuine fractals with Noel Carboni's Med sharp Max texture action - the detail is there just needs some additional sharpening.
Like the BG and the light - wish I had some of that right about now.

Gus Cobos
01-14-2010, 05:36 AM
Hi Gail,
I like the composition and capture. You have good color rendition with good feather details, I agree with Mr. Peters on the additional sharpening. The head angle is spot on...keep them coming...:cool:

Colin Knight
01-14-2010, 08:21 AM
I love that repost. The wing may be a bit dark.

I wouldn't be a bit scared to push that ISO up to 1600/3200 on that 7D from what I've seen. You did well for a slow shutter speed though!

Colin

Alfred Forns
01-14-2010, 11:48 AM
Great re post Lance, brighter looks better !!!

Gail about all I would do now is get out the chainsaw and cut out the branch coming out of his back, I think it will look natural without it !! Fine image !!!

Gail Spitler
01-14-2010, 01:04 PM
Thanks all and especially for the re-post. I actually processed the images twice, with the first one having more contrast and more sharpening, but then I got cautious with the second attempt. The re-post is really helpful.
I hear you Alfred about the branch growing out of the bird's back. I thought about cloning it out, but I thought that would look quite artificial. I am awaiting Alan Murphy's cd; it is trapped somewhere between here and Florida.
Again thanks for the suggestions and kind words.
Cheers
Gail

Oscar Zangroniz
01-14-2010, 03:37 PM
I like your image and the repost, HA and eye contact are there. I think he's a little too tight in the frame. IMO
Regards

Gail Spitler
01-14-2010, 03:48 PM
Thanks Oscar - appreciate your comments
Cheers
Gail

Richard Waas
01-16-2010, 08:18 AM
Hi Gail,

I agree with the prior comments. I think it is a great capture..... I don't own a 7D, but I push my 5d MK II much higher on the ISO with good results. Congrats!!