Gimbal II
ISO 400
1/1000
f/5.6
AV +1

LRII--->CS4

Gail Spitler
01-13-2010, 07:43 PM
Hi Jeff - Nice and sharp, good position on the bird, wonderful light, and great bg. It's funny how robins can give the appearance of a hard edge along the neck and head. I have seen it often. I finally figured out after looking at this image and your previous robin on the holley what was bothering me - the holley is so dense that is seems like a very large perch and seems to overpower the robin. But maybe that's just me.
Cheers
Gail

Bob Decker
01-13-2010, 10:09 PM
Good looking shot, Jeff. Plenty of detail in the feathers... nice and sharp. I'd have to roll the bird a bit clockwise. Feels like he's leaning downhill to me. I might crop a tad off the LH side to move him a bit closer to being on "thirds."

Lance Peters
01-14-2010, 02:01 AM
Hi jeff - Lovely detail, exposure looks right on the money, HA is good and like the detail in the eye.
I would consider cropping some from the LHS and top - moving Mr Robin closer to a ROT point.
Does feel like it needs a little CW.
Like it!!

Gus Cobos
01-14-2010, 05:32 AM
Hi Jeff,
I like the image and capture. You have good color and feather details on your little fellow. I like the direct sharp eye contact and the natural perch, which adds a pleasant splash of color to your composition...agree on off setting your subject a tad to the left side of the frame to place him and thus complying with the rule of thirds...I like it very much, you did well Jeff, show me more Sir. :cool:

Bob Decker
01-14-2010, 08:04 AM
I would consider cropping some from the LHS and top - moving Mr Robin closer to a ROT point.

I find Lance's suggestion interesting in that I was thinking LHS and bottom crop... while my thought would move the birds eye further away from the upper ROT interect, it might "ground" or "weight" the bird better. It mgiht also put the eye on, or nearly on a diagonal from the upper RH corner to the lower LH corner... which corresponds with a different "rule" of composition.

As presented I suspect the bird is pretty close to being on the LH vertical of the "golden section" with the eye a bit above the upper intersect. I never find "golden section" plotted compositions as pleasing as those using "thirds." But I suspect that may be because we see more presentations using "thirds" than the other. If you want to have some fun download the demo plugins from http://powerretouche.com/. It will allow you to lay various "rules" grids on top of your images. The demo limits what size you can save them with the overlay on them... but it's interesting. Overlays include: golden section, thirds, harmonic triangles, diaganols, etc. As long as I'm yammering away on composition I might as well mention my favorite book on the subject: "The Photographers Eye: Composition and Design for Better Digital Photos" by Michael Freeman.

kostas nianiopoulos
01-14-2010, 10:31 AM
Hi Jeff handsome little guy u got there , nice sharp , and good details ... well done

Alfred Forns
01-14-2010, 11:45 AM
Hi Jeff

I think the framing is fine, any changes are more or less a matter of taste. Do agree with the comment on the holley by Gail Does make for a large perch and competes with the little guy !! Upper bg looks great and birds is perfectly exposed and sharp with a good pose !!!

Jeff Cashdollar
01-14-2010, 02:25 PM
Thanks for all the great feedback!

Oscar Zangroniz
01-14-2010, 03:34 PM
Like your HA and eye contact and sharpness.
Congrats